jackian

Speckldeys and bluebell advice please.

We got two new girls in January who were 15 weeks old who are just lovely and settled in with our other girls with out a problem so now they are about 7 months old . but a few questions please.

The Speckldey Shadow is laying well nearly every day and is quite a placid girl but I think she is going broody .She is fit and well but does not like coming out of the nest box. have never really had a broody chicken before and I am assuming this is the case. Isn't this a bit young ?

The Bluebell Bluebell is doing just well and has settled in well but she is the most nervous chicken I have ever seen. She FR with the others all day and mixes well although she is bottom chick. She will not let me any where near her at all and hides under a bush when I go into the garden . If I scatter meal worms for example she will wait until I have gone indoors before she dives in . (if there are any left)I have never picked her up since I have had her .

I have tried everything ,chatted to her from a distance ,tried to lure her by getting her into a corner but she panics .

They are both nervous even after all this time ,but the Speckldey not quite so much..Could it be anything to do with the farm they were from ?

Any advice gratefully accepted .

Jackie x

It sounds like your speckledy has gone broody. She's not too young, she may not have a "full" broody. Is she all spread out ans content looking and hot underneath?

With regards to nervousness, some are just like that. My welsummer thinks I'm going to kill her every time I go near her. If she's free ranging she knows as soon as I'm about to make a move on.her, and runs for the hills :D

Thanks Chickabee.. Yes she is like that and when I tried to get her out she protested very loudly and was difficult to budge..She is out now and doing chicken things . I thought she might be too young as she has only been laying for about 6 weeks but as this has happened for the last 3 days it seems possible.

Sounds like broody indeed, or it may be that is where she current feels secure. See how it goes! As for th Bluebelle, yes. Oh very yes. Henzilla is a Bluebelle and she is terrified of me, trees, bluetits, moving grass, and sometimes the sky. She is the most anxious hen in a very Victorian fainting-in-coils sort of way. The good news is at least they law well once they come into doing so. Once she's more familiar with her surroundings she may settle, but expect gasps and filibriliations to be a regular thing wi the Bluebelles. (Ironic, considering how huge she is, but hey ho)

I have has exactly the oposite experience. The blubelle was a bit of a bully and went broody. (Although i thought she had an egg stuck at the time so the olive oil in her vent must have been a shock :shock: ) but she could easily be picked up because she was so fat and slow, although she clearly didn't actually like it. The speckldey was just generally lovely but bottom of the pecking order and always had a bald bottom. She did like to be picked up though but never went broody. I miss her :(