johnandkymberley

Going away and feeding fish

Hiya all,

We have two little cold water danios in a 35L biube.

Usually I only feed them every other day and when I do feed them it's only a few flakes as if I feed anymore than that they don't eat it and it just floats around the tank!

We are going away for a week and we don't have anyone who will feed them! I've been reading up on putting live plants in the tank (or vegetables and herbs!!!) I don't want to use a food block as it will be too big for the fish to eat and then pollute the water. So I'm looking for advice on if anyone has used vegetables or herbs (!!!) as we have an unlimited amount of them? If so what kind of veg/herb/plants?

Many thanks in advance for anyone who can help with this tricky question!

J&K

can you not cut a block down??? The ones that feed for a week will disolve really slowly particularly if in cold water. I find in our tropical tanks (orb) that that they don't disolve that quickly and there is always some left.

I have left cucumber and peas in there also sometimes the cucumber can go quite yukky!

Reviews may not be good, but got to say, I ALWAYS use them with absolutely no problems whatsoever. You will find that with only two small fish, one stick will probably not disappear much in a week, but it won't pollute the water either which is WAY more important!

PS, meant to say, I would definitely not put veg or herbs in the water before you go, they'd only rot and pollute the water which would be worse than leaving the fish a bit hungry.

If you are really worried, you could always buy a bag of LIVE daphnia (not blood worm or brineshrimp - uneaten bloodworm will hatch into flies and brine shrimp will die) - they can live in the tank with the fish and the fish could gobble them as and when they are hungry ...