Egzandra

Continental knitting

I have been wondering whether to try continental knitting in an attempt to speed up my work. Also, as I knit with the right needle balanced in my midriff it might be less painful when trying to use double ended needles! Has anyone else tried any different methods of knitting?

I have a Shetland knitting belt that goes around your waist and the pad that fits snug against you has a row of holes in that your needle ends fit into to stabilize your work as you knit to help keep the tension even while knitting lace. ( I don't use it these days , but was good when I first started.)

I knit in the round on circular and on five double end needles , I also knit from the neck down just for a change too.I like to crochet and also do afghan crochet , I love this method for baby blankets.

I love knitting just as much as quilting and embroidery.

Me! I was a very slow knitter, especially when ribbing. Now the continental has become second nature, it is much easier and much much faster. I actually timed myself when knitting a large cable sweater. I timed it over 2 or 3 rows and was consistently twice as fast, even doing cables 8) I taught myself by watching YouTube vids. Maybe wasn't a good idea to do it while working on said cable jumper though as my tension was all over the place initially. Maybe squares or washcloths would be good to practice on? :D

Thank you very much for your replies to my query about continental knitting. I will try You-Tube for some tutorials and practise on some squares. Also, I was delighted to hear about the Shetland belt, which aren't very expensive to buy, which I could maybe try if I don't get on with the continental. I have been knitting with my current method of needle stuck in tummy for 40 years but it is never to late to change. And also it would be nice to improve my finishing skills as well Thanks again - off to do some knitting!

I found the hardest bit was getting the yarn twisted around my left hand in the way that suited me. I don't think I do it quite like the video - it is very similar to how I hold the yarn when crocheting. I bring from palm, between my little and ring finger, across the back of my fingers then twice around the index finger. Once I had that right (or to suit me), it was very easy.