Egzandra

"Lifeline" knitting

Hi, everybody, while looking for tips to improve the quality of my knitting, I saw this one which I had never heard of. Has anyone used it? When knitting lace or other patterns that may be complicated, every so often you put in a lifeline of smooth cotton through all the stitches, with a wool sewing needle, so that if you make a mistake you only need to go back to the lifeline which holds the stitches and makes them easy to pick up again. Sounds useful - I might try knitting a lacy pattern if I can do this.

I do this occasionally, especially on triangular shawls. I use dmc embroidery cotton as it is thicker and holds the stitches firmly , even dropped ones also if you know the stitch count for the mistake row or lost place it helps you go back and count . I also use stitch markers at every pattern repeat ( also helps count the pattern when I lose a stitch , often 2 Ktog in the wrong place .)