mullethunter

More Pekin worries!

Hello all - more questions about my little Pekins (13 weeks old now). Bernadette keeps flying onto the Omlet fence to try to perch - not a good idea as I don't want her outside the fence. Does anyone have any ideas for anything I can do to persuade her not to do this?! I think she's too young to have her wings clipped. Question 2 - when they're flapping about chasing flies they occasionally seem to square up to each other - is this normal for two girls?

Why are they too young to be clipped? Mine were clipped at 12 weeks. You only need to keep an eye on them, because the will have new feathers faster then older girls, so you need to clip them more often.

When I first got them, I was wondering about that too. When does normal pecking order squabble end and bullying begin. But I was ensured by other omletteers that it's normal, as they need to figure out who is top chick. As long as they all are able to eat from the feeder and no blood is shed, it's all fine.

Why are they too young to be clipped? Mine were clipped at 12 weeks.

Only that I read somewhere that it's not a good idea to wing clip until about 20 weeks. I'd never heard that before though so maybe that's the solution. That and feeding them up so they can't get off the ground!