TheChookKeeper

Chicken Burglars!

Hello,

Not a subject I have seen anything of on here, have been looking for a while, so figured I would ask!

I have now ordered my Eglu Cube, which is due at the beginning of September (I am counting the hours... 31d 5h to go!).

I don't exactly live in the greatest area, and I am concerned that some of the local riff-raff (of which, there is quite a lot) may decide to gain access to my garden (has happened a few times now).

I am not too worried about them "stealing" the chooks, I can't believe they are of any value to anyone, and I reckon the Eglu would be too huge to pinch, but I am more concerned about mindless vandelism, maybe "releasing" them into the wild, or just causing general problems.

I wondered about maybe popping a little padlock on the eglu run door, and I will certainly be putting a bicycle lock on my garden gate.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

This was sort of discussed before, I have a lock on the run of eglu, but this would not stop them opening the egg port......Although your girls would soon squark the street down if they were frightened so im sure it would soon deter some :)

I think it would be a very good idea to include a lock on the egg port.......Surely wouldnt be that diffucult to include in the design......

A lock built into the Eggport handle would be a good idea. Although we live on the edge of a village, our garden is fairly open so anyone could, in theory, come in and mess with our Eglu.

We are moving them around every week but will not put them at the end of the garden as it is near the path/road and out of our view. Maybe a little paranoid but you can never account for a group who have had a few too many bevvvies and what they might do :roll:

I would put the Eglu in a permanent position and weigh the skirt down heavily with slabs and potted plants.

Since I have been on the forum I have only seen one thread about an Eglu being stolen, and one about an Eglu and run being tipped over, so it is very rare. But remember that your household insurance will not cover you for items kept in the garden.

Hens are extremely dosy at night, and so any après-pub vandalism would not result in much squawking. And in winter it gets dark by après-school time.... So don't rely on the hens to announce what is going on.

I used to have a security light on the side of the house, that was automated so it came on and floodlit the garden if anyone walked in at night. But I thought about it, and decided that in fact it was making life easier for folk as they could see what they were doing and how to get round the garden :?

So I disconected it, and the garden is now shrounded in darkness. Now, if you add into the equation my natural untidyness you will understand that the way around the garden is littered with watering cans, clothes props, garden chairs and other detritis. There is also an unfenced off pond that you can't see until you fall into it.

I live next to a pub - and no-one, drunk or sober, has made it into my garden. If they did I would soon know as the peace of the night would be well interupted.

I've just had another thought - maybe I'll link the automatic motion detector switch for the light, to my iPod and playing out amp. How about people suggest an appropriate track to have come on, really really loud, when intruders arrive in the night? :lol::lol::lol:

maybe;

Security - Joss Stone

are we in trouble now - Knopplfer

army of one - Cass Fox

Panic - the smiths

back on the chain gang - Pretenders

beat the retreat - Richard and Linda Thompson

call the police - James Morrison

SAFE IN MY GARDEN - Momas and the Papas!!!! Just thought of that!

Any track by the Police? (don't stand os close to me?)

New York city Cops (Strokes)

climbing up the walls - Kate Rogers

robbery with Violins, or parcel of rogues (Steeleye)

what about; come on up to the house - Tom Waits?

Creepin'in - Norah Jones

Maybe; Don't Panic - Coldplay - or should that be 'do panic'!

Get Back? some old band called the Beatles

I'm not scared any more (Chrsi de Burgh)

how about - open your eyes (snow patrol) - little bit contrived I suppose

It takes a thief - thievery corporation

not a burgler theme but I could put on Hens March over the Midden - the Swarbrick/Fairport version!

What others? I better get back to work!

See you

Edited by Guest

Thank you for your input and reassurances everyone. I can't forsee it being a problem, but I just thought I would see if anyone had any marvellous ideas!

Although in theory, a lock on the egg port would be a good idea, it would still only take someone to turn the whole thing over to cause havoc.

Burglary/Vandleism whilst I am there doesn't bother me too much, it is unlikely anyone could get in and not be noticed for long, as many of my rooms overlook the garden, it is more whilst I am out.

I guess I will just have to trust in the good nature of my neighbours! :?

Thanks again

Thank you for your input and reassurances everyone. I can't forsee it being a problem, but I just thought I would see if anyone had any marvellous ideas!

I guess I will just have to trust in the good nature of my neighbours! :?

Aww come on Steve - you can't just get away with that, having started the thread. You've got to suggest a track for burglar proofing your chickens, at least one - just to keep me happy! :wink:

ok, ok!

Perhaps not a hugely well known one, but on the subject (almost)...

"Chicken's Gone" - by the Austin Lounge Lizards!

Alternatively, just because it popped into my head...

"Never lost a chicken to a fox" - by Beautiful South!!!

(not exactly on subject... but the best I could do I am afraid!)

Happy now?!? :roll:

ok, ok!

Perhaps not a hugely well known one, but on the subject (almost)...

"Chicken's Gone" - by the Austin Lounge Lizards!

Alternatively, just because it popped into my head...

"Never lost a chicken to a fox" - by Beautiful South!!!

(not exactly on subject... but the best I could do I am afraid!)

Happy now?!? :roll:

Yep - really cool. I hope all goes well with your chooks and you don't get bothered by intruders!