munkee1965

Broody Girl Advice Please

Hi

I've got a Black Rock which is about 1 year old now. She's been laying well but I think she had now gone broody. She's spending all her time either sitting on the other girls eggs or just sitting in the nest box. I keep taking her out and she then just sits on the ground and starts to make a nest. I'm worried that she isn't eating or drinking enough as she does seem to of lost weight. I've started taking her out of the nest box and closing the Eglu door (about lunchtime ish) when I think they have all laid and then opening it up again at dusk. Any ideas what I can to do to stop this behaviour. Thanks

I leave a broody to brood, but remove the eggs from under them when they do rise (and they will from time to time) I leave a ceramic one there though so they will sit that, but only try and break the brood relatively late (after a couple of weeks)

A broody will lose weight and possibly their under-feathers as well, but they might easily be tempted by some treats if left close to them.

The reason i don't try and break the brood early is that the interventions to do so always sound a little drastic for what is essentially a natural process anyway (putting them in lofted cages etc sounds a bit cruel to me)

Now am not saying that I have seen broodies just sit the bars or even nest outside the run at all... I would keep an eye on this, but again.... a relatively young hen... you'd be surprised just how hard wired they're not when it comes to driven behaviours like a brood. It may take them a couple of tries to get it right.

I have a buff Orpington for a year and she is now in 4th broody spell !

I do sAme aS what you doing close eglu door in morning and reopen at dusk.

Need to keep eye out in case other chicken wants to lay An egg.

I also put large heavy flower pot in nest during night which stops her sleeping in nest All night

And let them have a few hours free ranging to take her mind off it.

She is usually back normal in a week or 10 days depends on how well you discourage the behaviour.

She the. Stops laying for a couple of weeks though.

The reason i don't try and break the brood early is that the interventions to do so always sound a little drastic for what is essentially a natural process anyway (putting them in lofted cages etc sounds a bit cruel to me)

Do you know I think you have something there. My Legbars go broody two or three times a year and worse....they are horrid mothers. I have two chicks in a brooder that narrowly escaped being murdered by their mum. Breaking the habit is much easier if they have been sitting on ceramic eggs for a couple of weeks.