WitchHazel

Anyone in the Fifield area of Berkshire lost a cockerel

I've updated the title of this post, it was originally asking if anyone could identify the breed.

If you have any chickeny friends in the Fifield (which is near WIndsor) area, please ask them if they know of anyone who has lost a chook.

I've posted on a couple of forums (eg Practical Poultry) but I haven't described the chook or given it's gender. I don't want to facilitate someone incorrectly claiming it as theirs.

Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

I know that this isn't really the right place, but I'm hoping I can get a faitly quick answer.

Can anyone tell me what breed this cockerel is please?

2014-07-20_21-32-52_zpsf1d5ac3e.jpg

SOmeone has posted hm as "found, free to a good home" on a local facebook page. He looks a well cared for lad, and I'm sure someone must be missing him. I was thinking if I could identify the breed, I could give the people who have him the info - and maybe get some ideas on where to look for his owners.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the replies.

I wish the quality of the photo was better, or that I had a better view of the comb.

Of course he might be a cross, in which case there's no way of knowing what he is.

I don't know the person who posted about him, so I don't feel I can butt in much unless I have something constructive to add. I have commented on the post to say that someone is probably worried about him, and that he looks like a youngster to me. I've also asked if they have tried contacting their neighbours in case someone has lost a chook.

I will PM them to warn them about what might lie in store for the chook, but I can tell from the post that they just want him out of their garden.

I think it is most likely he has been deliberately dumped WitchHazel. We've had 5 in total dumped on or near us. One was actually thrown down the driveway from a passing car. He was rehomed successfully as he was a really good Pekin, but the fox got him in the end. Two more Pekins were PTS because they were very nasty and two Welsummers we took to a nice place in Newark where they split the existing hen flock between them.

Sadly, Beantree, I think you are right.

It's a really sh*tty thing to do, what the heck do they think is going to happen to the poor bird? I wish people wouldn't hatch chicks unless they have a plan in place for the cockerels.

I absolutely 100% agree with you....such poor form!!!