mullethunter

My 1st broody - what do I do now?

Penny sat on her egg for three hours this evening in classic fluffed out broody pose. I've just got her off and shut her and Amy out of the Eglu (much pecking and shrieking!). I don't have a broody cage - do you think making her sleep on the perch in the run will work? I'll keep Amy shut out too to keep her company...I feel mean :|

Edited by Guest

Snowflake gets broody every year at this time for about 3 weeks. I just make sure she comes out each day to eat and drink and put lice powder in the sawdust that she sits on and a little bowl of water each day. I remove the eggs that the other hen is laying too. Her comb goes pale and floppy and she loses a bit of weight but she always comes out of it. I haven't used a broody cage (cat box) mainly because then the other one would be sleeping on her own and I would be worried about a fox getting in to the run at night.

I've shut Penny and Amy both out of the house so they both have to sleep on the perch in the run. Didn't have the heart to let Amy go in and shut Penny out on her own. I feel so mean though - poor confused looking chooks :( I'm sure the pekins are sniggering inside their cat box though

thats sensible, at least they are together then. My snowflake is out and about today in the garden (still flapping and squawking) so hopefully is coming out of her broody phase. She was sat on 3 eggs so I have now removed those and keeping the eglu pop-hole open to cool the coop down.

Doh! We've been going through this for about 4 weeks now! Have 5 Pekin's and Lilly went totally hormonal and sat in box all day, tried to kill you if you moved her etc and the Dolly joined in to a lesser extent. We tried the dunking in cold water although I wasn't keen and it did nothing, got a broody cage which was ok during the day but I kept them all together again at night, just blocked off the nestbox in the cube and after nearly 4 weeks, today Lilly came out of the coop by herself for breakfast and is spending a little more time out than in as the day goes on. Hopefully she is nearing the end of this. The last few days I've just been letting her get on with it as she took to sitting in the coop rather than the nestbox and apart from making sure she came out at least once a day for food, water and a good old poop, I've decided to let things take their course. They're hens at the end of the day, and it's natural for them. Less eggs obviously but now, Milly looks like she's starting to moult early ... wonder what the other 2 will do as a party piece>>!! Love 'em though :lol:

I don't know if this will work but someone told me to try using a cat/puppy plastic box with broken bricks inside. This way the chicken will remain cool underneath and the higgledypiggledy nature of the bricks meant a chicken couldn't get comfortable.

My friend keeps her chickens and quails in large plastic dog carrying cages. Because we will keep the coop creosoted, I am going to use those on a temporary basis when the coop needs doing again. (You may have noticed OH did not factor this in when building the coop so it can't be removed from run :lol: )

I digress. Maybe try the bricks. Not hugely expensive.

Snowflake is still broody but now moulting so I hope she's coming out of it

Blimey that's a long time. The hamster cage worked a treat on Penny. She was in there for three days and nights. When I let her out she had a 2 hour dust bath, and that was almost that. She did try to roost in the nest hollow of the Eglu for the next 2 nights so I made her and Amy sleep outside on the perch, but after that all was back to normal.

If I get it so easy every time I'll count myself very lucky!