Minty_76

Dilemma

Hi all

Ive got a bit of a situation. I have two pure breed bantams which live in an eglu. Over the summer I was given 2 hybrids and a wooden hen house (helping out a friend who has to move and couldn't take them with her). One of the hybrids died a few weeks back and the remaining chicken called "Chicken" is such a lovely friendly girl and follows me around when she's let out into the garden. I tried to let out all 3 hens out together and there was a massive chicken s"Ooops, word censored!". My Australorp is looking a bit peaky at the mo so thinking about taking her to the vets so I don't want them all together as it might be contagious. My question is, Chicken is quite an old girl I think so would it be stressful for her to get a room mate at her time of life as I don't really want to mix all 3 together? Also if my poorly hen has to be PTS Im left with 2 hens in two separate houses and not sure what to do! Hope I haven't been too confusing?! Any advice/opinions?

Thanks!

Yes, agree. If you have 2 who don't know each other, it would be good to get a third stranger. They'd all feel as vulnerable as each other, and although you'll still get pecking order scuffles, hopefully it shouldn't be as bad as when you're trying to introduce 2 bonded girls to 1 on her own.

However, hope your poorly girl will be ok...... If so, the introductions will need to be very slow between the 3 of them. Keep them separate but within sight for a week or so. I find that chucking their afternoon corn near the mesh between them so that they're all feeding together seems to help with bonding too. Best of luck!

Hi Minty_76. Difficult to follow this, but for a start the egg eater would be kept well away from eggs permanently were she ours. Yes you can buy one hen. A reputable breeder will want an explanation as to how you will manage introductions. Another may just take your money and not be bothered.

The latest news is we lost Pippin at the weekend and old lady chicken doesn't look very happy at the moment either so to be honest I'm not expecting her to be with us very long. That will pretty much leave our Wynandotte Henrietta on her own. I will then be left with the 3m run Eglu and a wooden hen house.

So, if I get 2 hybrid girls to join Henrietta, I am presuming it would be best to house the newbies in the wooden house at first and let them get to know each other in the garden before putting them together? What do you all think?