Bramble

To Buy or Not to Buy (new Chickens) THAT is the question

OK, so I've got three hybrids at the moment. Two are still laying, one has decided she is retired (that's fine, I don't really keep them for the eggs, those are just a bonus!). I usually have four of five at most times but have had as many as 6 and am wondering whether (or when) to get some newbies?

I love my chucks, but they can be noisy little wotsits at times, my neighbours have never complained, but I do wonder sometimes if they make too much noise. I'm also still a bit traumatised by losing one little girl this year to sour crop (she seemed to have a heart attack in my arms and dropped dead right in front of me)

Anyway, I happened to notice that my local chuck supplier has some LOVELY hybrids in at the moment and I've found winter intros (shorter days so far less time for squabbling) can be easier than summer. The thing is I don't want to buy newbies and then wish I hadn't - what if the newbies I get are SERIOUSLY noisy in the summer?

Am wondering if some little BHWT ex=commercials might be a better way forward (I had them for a couple of years and found that, generally, they were MUCH quieter)?

Don't know, just not sure what to do?

Any chook can be noisy, my ex bats certainly are. If you don't want any more noise I wouldn't get newbies. Not all of mine are noisy in the summer, it's just down to luck I think. When my neighbours mentioned the noise, they said they liked it.

What a connundram, I know what I'd do. Buy buy buy :lol:

I'd be thinking how much longer the remaining two are going to lay for Bramble. In my experience most breeds are going to be noisy. Wyandottes, TNNs and Marans are all particularly bad and they are far worse than any hybrids we've had. To some extent as Chickabee says, it's down to luck whether yours are quiet or not.

Think I've probably got another summer of laying from one chuck, possibly another two out of the other one as she isn't a year old yet, but they inevitably slow down in terms of laying as they get older. I think the latest batch I've got have been quietish, but I've had the odd one that's been particularly noisy in the past. Think I'll only be getting hybrids, some of the pure breeds are lovely (always fancied a Marans for the "chocolate eggs" (!) )but I don't think I could cope with all the broodiness - it's bad enough with hybrids!!!

Decisions, decisions!!!

Hi bramble, my new ex-commercial girls are SILENT....bless them, they both lay frequently, never make a fuss for the nest box, lay their eggs and just potter around, I have never had an egg announce from either of them. they call me occasionally if they think a treat is in order but sound more like cats.

BHWT is doing a massive rehoming on the 4th January....what a nice way to see in the new year!!! :clap: