Clive_Hive

New beehaus

I am a first time bee keeper and have just set up my Beehaus and made the frames. I am now looking for a nuc to start it off. What I hadn't realised was that the frames are 14x12 deep Nationals and very few local beekeepers use these! I have 3 options 1. Buy a nuc from Omlet for £180 2. Find someone with a nuc on 14x12 frames 3. Wait for a swarm. Does anyone have any words of wisdom about what they first did and how successful it was or know of anyone reasonably near where I live near Hull who might have a suitable nuc for May/June?

Any advice welcome. Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I'm not a beekeeper myself but did some reading a few years ago as we were interested in starting, maybe in a few years time.

Anyway, could you not buy a nuc on National frames and once the bees start to establish themselves, introduce the deep frames and slowly move them over?

Hopefully someone will be along soon with a solution :D

Hi Clive, and welcome to the Forum. There are a few beekeepers on here but unfortunately not that many who actually own a Beehaus! however I can appreciate your dilemma and it's been mentioned on here before. Lots of beekeepers wait for a swarm and that's how I began beekeeping. We should be seeing those in a month or so, so if you are on a list with your local group that might solve your problem.

If you're thinking of buying a nuc anyway, then it probably makes sense to buy the Omlet one on the right size frames. You could buy one on National frames but it's not likely to be much cheaper judging by local prices, and you'd have to put the frames in and then gradually move them out - they would immediately fill the extra space underneath with brace comb and it would all get very messy. If you know anyone locally who is doing queen rearing and raising nucs, you might be able to persuade them to build one on the right size of frame. Are you in touch with your local beekeeping group?

Hi - I do own a beehaus and am now starting my third year of beekeeping. I must say I ordered a nucleus of bees from the Omlet recommended supplier who had Buckfast bees which are gentler as they are in my back garden only 20 feet from the back door ( sunniest spot). They did come on the shorter frames and I simply placed them in the Beehaus and have gradually worked them out. I am now down to the last frame which the bees absolutely love although it is almost black now and of course they will build wild comb at the bottom to fill the space. But if you are careful this can be an advantage as they will raise their drones in this wild comb and you will easily be able to find out if you have any problems by inspecting the wild comb and you never have any shortage of boy bees.

I must say although the beekeepers in my club are extremely sceptical about the beehaus hives. I have never had problems and my bees are exceptionally healthy. So much so that my daughter who is a photographer took some photos of them and they have appeared on the cover of a national magazine and in an article written by a master beekeeper about keeping bees healthy!

I wish you every success with your beekeeping and hope you enjoy it as much as I do - even though I have developed diabetes and cannot eat the product my kids adore their homegrown honey! xx