Julia_305

Ducks in with chickens question about food

Hi there

I wonder if anyone can help me. I'm new to ducks and chicks and got my flock about 4 weeks ago they are all about 5 weeks old. 2 ducklings and 4 chicks. I took the advice of the pet shop about food etc and they advised chick crumb but i've been researching and now i find out that its bad for ducklings and i'm even more concerned because my two when they stand still they sometimes flop down. They seem very very happy - running up and down the garden and coming into the kitchen to see if they can grab the cat's food, they are mealworm crazy etc. The trouble is, as they all live together i'm not sure how to approach this problem now. Does anyone have any ideas? I might have to segregate them and buy a new coop for the ducks. Or is it OK to give them the unmedicated chick crumb? But then what to feed the chicks....

I would really appreciate any advice here as i'm now worried about them

Thank you everybody

Hi Julia just in case an expert does'nt pop on here for a while. It's not as busy as chickens. I am planning on ducks and have got a book so I looked to see their advice. They suggest it is much better to buy formulated duck feed but they can have chicken pellets. I don't know if duck pellets are harder to find but if you have chicken pellets could you bash them done to same size as crumb.

Not sure about when they are so young as initially kept mine separate but now I have three call ducks with 18 bantams, the ducks have their own house within the walk in run and they also free range together.

I use Fancy Feeds pellets which advertise on the bag that they are suitable for both ducks and bantams, the pellets are smaller than usual.

I did try using different foods but they all are each other's so feel this is a good compromise and they are all well.

Thank you both for your very helpful response - I actually emailed a few companies yesterday about this and was advised to buy some Fancy Feed which i've done. If it is a bit big i will put it in the blender to crumb it down for them all. Was thinking about getting Flock Raiser pellets as that is suitable for a mixed flock and also has enough niacin for ducks but somebody reviewed it and said it makes them fat as it is for feeder birds so i didnt bother and have ordered some brewers yeast which I will sprinkle onto the twins' food and give them separately as this has helped some people whose ducks have floppy legs etc. Their legs are straight and strong looking so it might even be that they prefer to sit but i'm not taking any chances. There's not much point really in trying to stop them eating the chicks food as they just barge themselves over to the feed bowl and "Ooops, word censored!"ody stands a chance they are that big! Almost fully grown and only 5 weeks bless them. I call them Ronnie and Reggie the Kray Twins. They all seem very happy and snuggle up together as the ducks are very warm and the chicks all jostle for position under and around the ducks which is why i was hoping not to have to separate them.

Anyway thank you both again for your help and advice. Much appreciated.