Tweety

Help please - mink attack

I've just been to let my hens out of their run and found a scene of carnage and a number of mink. All my hens except for one are dead, the survivor is miraculously unharmed. I have brought her into the house, and tried to contact a hen-keeping friend to see if he can have her, but haven't been able to reach him.

I can't keep her on her own and am scared to do so anyway with such predators around, and I wondered if anyone knew of a rescue centre/similar in Cheshire or surrounding areas that might take in a lone hen if my friend can't have her? I don't want to get any more hens for now, so the option of getting her some friends is a non-starter I'm afraid.

Any suggestions gratefully welcomed :(

Very sorry to hear about this. The 'Animal Rights' brigade have a lot to answer for.

It's going to be difficult to rehome a lone hen because of flock integration Tweety, so good luck in your quest. If a keeper has sufficient experience though they will manage it. Our approach would be to take a loner from our flock and pair them up, introducing them very slowly to the main flock after they have bonded. Unfortunately we are not near Cheshire.

Many thanks Beantree, couldn't agree more about the animal rights lot! Thankfully, my friend has just contacted me and can have my lone girl - he is very experienced with hens, so I'm sure he knows about integration. On a very sad day, the end of 8 years of keeping hens, at least there is a relatively happy outcome for one lucky little bantam.

It's a real shame that you no longer feel happy keeping hens Tweety. They seem to give us pleasure and stress in equal measure, but the former far outweighs the latter. We have had chickens for about 8 years and have also had our share of heartache.

So pleased your friend has helped out as we have had to do for others. Maybe approach keeping another way, like keeping fish (weird approach I know). First build a secure enclosure then get the inhabitants.

The irony is that my hens free ranged all day every day of their lives, but died in the "safety" of what was a very secure (against foxes) run. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, when some of my hens were killed in the run, and I always thought it was rats that were responsible. Having seen the carnage today, I think it must have been mink on that occasion too.

You're right , Beantree, about the pleasure they give us, but I'm not sure that I can go through this again. I think I will have a break from chicken keeping for a while - we hope to be moving down South in the next few months and it seems like a good opportunity - but maybe I will think about it again when I am feeling more positive about it. I will miss them so much, and can't begin to think of starting again at the moment.