redhotchick

Found an old diary

I found an old diary today. I opened it at random and it said "CHICKEN DAY!"

I have rarely kept a diary consistently and this gem from 2008 has over 2 months of my most precious memories.

Not just a record of my first few months of chicken keeping, but my life at that time. Friends, hobbies, work, weight, exercise, just everything! I don't claim to be a great writer, here is an edited extract:

Saturday 16th February 2008 "CHICKEN DAY"

Woke at 8, had a coffee in bed, got dressed and was ready to build the Eglu by 9. Cress got up and helped. It was all set up by 10. Had a piece of toast and phoned mum to make sure she was ready for our day trip.

At 11 o'clock picked mum up...went to The Goshawk for lunch, a lovely rambling pub in Mouldsworth near Frodsham............Drove to The Poultry Garden.................I chose a Black Rock Hybrid and a Rhode Island Red Cross. Two hybrid birds, they are much bigger than I thought! I held the red one and put her in the cat box, then the black one. Ben drove home, I sat in the back with the chickens. £10 for each chicken!

The chickens, Bella and Dolce? seemed to settle in OK. I put them to bed at 4.45, it wasn't quite dark.

I checked the chickens at 10. The Eglu was already covered in frost. Hope the chickens are warm enough!

How lovely. I never kept diaries but I wish I had. My ED friend kept diaries all through senior school and although the four friend are all over the world they still meet every year. Kirsty always brings a diary and they have a good laugh at who they fancied,terrible teachers,youth club etc.