Jen the Hen

Vet charges for PTS?

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been covered extensively before, but I'm reeling from a recent charge by my local vet. Sadly, I had to make the decision to have my lovely Henrietta put to sleep on Monday. She was an elderly hen, and she suddenly lost a lot of weight and stopped eating and drinking - I think it was the kindest thing for her. I didn't see a vet, as I knew nothing more could be done for her, so I gave my instructions to the veterinary assistant (receptionist). I realise that the vet would have been involved behind the scenes, but I was shocked to get a bill for £54 for a PTS/communal cremation. My bill at another surgery, which included a veterinary consultation, was £35.

I was too upset at the time to question it, but having thought about it later this seems a awful lot considering the circumstances. Anyone had something similar?

I have had two hens PTS in the recent past, on both occasions, the charge was £8 for PTS/consultation and £5.50 for the cremation (could have been the other way round, but either way, the bill on both occasions was £13.50).

I have to say I was quite embarrassed by the size of the bill - both times the vet was with us for at least half an hour and I couldn't believe they charged so little. I did wonder if it was because my dog is also registered there, but I know colleagues who have taken small furries to the same practice (rats, mainly) and come out without a bill at all. I count myself incredibly lucky to have such amazing vets so close, I would gladly pay MUCH more for their service (be it for dogs or chickens)

The thing is, from the vet's point of view it's the same length of consultation, same paperwork etc whatever the animal - I assume it's a smaller dose of whatever drug they use but otherwise it's as much work for a large animal, so I can see why charges are high. I believe (although I have no inside knowledge of vets' practices) that most vets have a 'small animal' rate, otherwise treating uninsurable pets like rats, hamsters etc would be beyond most people's reach.

On the other hand, I know someone who gets 'farm rates' at her vets because she has so many pets!

Some vets will routinely see chickens and have charges for them, while others treat them as exotic pets which is usually more expensive.

Overheads vary between practices too for premises, training, staff etc as with all businesses, so in future I'd just ask for a quote beforehand and the receptionist shouldn't mind at all.

If I'm around I'd be happy to help any local Omleteers with sick/injured birds or show them how to dispatch.