ChickenPoopGarden

Lobelia is an egg pecker!!!

Well, I think it is Lobelia, anyway. Now that I know the little white eggs belong to Marshmallow (and they are never pecked) I only had Lobelia the Pekin and Imelda the Polish to investigate when the little beige eggs started to appear. Imelda is moulting heavily, so I'm guessing it's Lobelia. Anyhoo, I have only ever had one egg from her that hasn't had a big peck in the top.

Could it be that she is so shocked at what has come out of her bum that she pecks it every time?

It's pretty annoying! She's never gotten through the membrane, so she's not getting a taste for egg, but it's still a habit I want to get rid of. Any tips?

Anyone had any luck with nestbox curtains?

All our coops have nest box curtains made from Wilko car mats cut into strips 15mm wide, finished 50mm from the top. However we have still had one peck her own eggs and I assume it is to test shell thickness and hence hatching viability, because she never ate them. I caught her doing it once and solved it by giving them grit with oystershell and 1mL of cod liver oil once. The reason she could peck through her eggs was because the shells were on the thin side, although we never noticed when we ate them.

If you have mixed grit it will contain oystershell pieces. We bought some oystershell only and put that in the place of the mixed grit. It was a huge bag and 7 years on we still have most of it because we switched back to mixed grit when the problem stopped. Perhaps you can sieve out the grit to get out the oystershell pieces?