Claireabella

Feeling a bit sad about chicken keeping :(

I had Poppy put to sleep last Friday due to peritonitis. I know it was the right thing to do but I still felt upset about it.

Then today in some sort of freak accident, I lost one of my two sablepoots, Lemon (please ignore my signature, needs updating). I was at work but my DD was in the garden and OH was watching the chickens from the house. It seems that Penny jumped on her back and broke her neck - she died before they even got her into the house. I've never heard anything like this before, can't quite believe it's happened and that I've lost two girls so close together :(

So sorry to read that. I've never heard of that before so it was a freak accident and if neck was broken then death would have been instantaneous and wee chook would have known nothing about it. So sorry as never easy when you lose one, never mind two close together. x

Sleep tight poppy

As you know I lost my girlie Friday and my oldest, bestest and one of my first ever girls earlier this year. That along with losing my dad, eldest son being made redundant as his job was outsourced to Indian (along with 35 others) and a massive work upheaval and getting married my year has been challenging.

I thought about having a hen break, but nothing's better than sitting in the garden with a cup of tea, watching the rest of my girls pottering and making the cute little boks....we can't give that up!!!

Ah, thank you - it helps to share. Feeling ok today, was just a bit shocked and sad about it to be honest as she was only a young hen.

I haven't been on the forum for a while. Gavclojak, you've had so much to deal with. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad but how lovely to get married with all of your family there - lovely memories. I hope things get brighter soon for you and your family. And you're right about the girls, sat out for a bit with them today and they soon make you smile, even if you don't feel like it.

Redsunset, I'm always telling people about the lady on the chicken forum who lives in the Outer Hebrides, who has chickens that sleep outside, in the trees :) I was sorry to read about the chickens you lost recently. Must have been hard; I'm pleased to hear that things are now on the up.

I hope you Mom's ok Mullethunter and your girls too Luvachicken :)