Henergy

Swollen Abomen of a nearly 6 year old

Our beloved Megg has been looking off peak this last week. Her comb is blue tinged & flopped over. She is still looking lovely feather wise & hasn't lost weight. But most worryingly is her hard swollen abdomen. She cannot walk as she topples & has to put her wings out to steady herself.

As she is a good age, I'm sure the vet will advise being PTS & we obviously don't want her in pain, but how do we tell ? Or are the symptoms something that could be treated ? She's been a lovely girl, has never been an escapee, she's gentle & was a fabulous layer. We just want to do what's right.

Sadly as you say her abdomen is full and her comb is blue it sounds like it is her time. It may be that she has lost weight but the extra fluid is making up her size.

Chickens don't have a diaphragm so the fluid will be pushing on her lungs and heart so it sounds like PTS will be advised; if I was closer I'd offer to help.

If it makes you feel any better, I have gone down the route of having the abdomen drained and antibiotics and with another hen I had the implant fitted (£130.00!)

Neither worked and I wouldn't go down that road again. I have recently lost a girl to EP so I do sympathise but in my humble opinion it fighting a losing battle