DebbyTutton

Urgent Help Needed

I have a very sad girl, her name is Bluey and she is 10 years old, she has been in retirement in the past year so doesn't lay eggs.

I have noticed over the past two weeks that her poop is runny and soaks into the Arboise a lot. About the same time she started losing bottom feathers. As she has had mite problems in the past I gave her a thorough examination but found nothing untoward (except pink skin and a bald patch). At first I didn't notice any change in her temperment but recently she has started hanging her head a little and now she has started losing feathers from around her neck. Again more checks but no obvious problem.

It seems to me that she may be being picked on by my other, much younger (6 months) girls although I have seen no evidence of this. When I first got the little ones she was queen of the pack and strutted her stuff and got top pickings for the food. But not any more. This is so painful.

Most of the feathers are outside the cube although there are a few small ones being removed at night.

I think I am losing my old lady and the others are picking on the weakest of the flock.

What do you think ?

Should I put her out of her misery ?

I don't want her to die at the hands of the others. If she is going to go should I make it peaceful ?

Please help ...

Well, Yes and No,

I separated her 2 days ago by putting a temporary fence inside the chicken run with our reserve hen house (a compost bin). She still has lots of space as do the others, they can see each other, make faces and do little dances back and forth.

Bluey is better in that she is not losing any more feathers but she is definitely a sad old bird. I am feeding her a grain & corn mix as there is no need for her to have layers and I thought it might put some meat on her bones as she is getting frail.

I have noticed that she poops as much as the other 5 put together. Each morning I remove poops from the trays and the last two mornings has been a marked decrease in poops. Especially runny ones.

Now I have my sensible head on I think I can honestly say that I doubt she'll last till Christmas (sniff sniff).

I haven't taken her to the vet as I really think that this is down to old age, there is no physical injuries or oddities about her. I feel her body is just shutting down and to take her to the vet would only stress her more.

We had a little cuddle at lunch time and I gave her some tinned sweet corn (her fave) which she took eagerly.

If she lasts a couple of weeks I'll put Pepper in with her (quiet, gentle little bird) and then introduce them together to the other four. Hopefully this will give the superior ranks a bit of a shake up.

Keep your fingers crossed for her.

I think time will tell on this one but I'll keep this post updated.

No lice, mites, fleas, ticks nothing, in fact, that creeps, crawls, visits or slithers.

When you say let her go, do you think ... I should call on the abilities of my neighbour ... Or let her go in her own time?

I know she wont get better, it will only get worse, looks like i have answered my own question :|

I will visit marie tomorrow

Me too, in her sleep tonight would be good.

Shes been a lovely bird, not cuddly but strong and somewhat cranky. Full of character. She was always the boss. Always kept her girls in place.

Like some kind of school mistress, complete with beak shaped cane.

I will miss her ... A lot

Thanks for helping me thru this