SeramaSilly

Advice on Nutri drops

I am just wondering whether someone can give me some advice. My friend has mycoplasma in her flock and her four seramas are all looking very unwell and have the wheezing noises. They are on their second bout of antibiotics but no change. She is reluctant to bring them inside and all I can think of is trying Nutri drops. Does anyone know how many to dose such a small bird??

Sophie x

Hi Sophie. I'm following Carol too. It's hard to watch.

I've used nutri drops for my pekins. They're not as small as Seramas but not loads bigger. The nutridrops come with a little glass dropper in the bottle. I've given them up to a full dropper twice a day. On one particular occasion when one of mine seemed really poorly and lacklustre it seemed to work like a miracle and within an hour she was pretty much back to her normal self. Other times I haven't noticed any particular effects but it does get some nutrients and sugars into them - I mix sunflower hearts into it in a milk bottle lid.

Nutridrops will certainly help, and they will also help to protect the gut after the antibs. The dosing instructions are on the pack, but I can't remember them without checking. I have to say that I am never that precise in measuring the dose and just give them a 'squidge' straight down their beaks.

Do you know which antibs her flock is on? If they have been using Baytril, it might be worth trying them on Tylan. TBH if they are all very bad, then it is unlikely that they will thrive after/if the infection is beaten. Personally, if they are dire, then I would cull; it's a hard decision to take though. :(

Let me know how she gets on - I am guessing this is someone on facebook.

Ahh, thanks. Just had a quick look. She might be better off asking her vet to administer a primary dose via injection rather than just relying on them taking it in the water; the latter is more arbitrary especially if they are unwell and not eating.

They would certainly benefit form either Nutridrops or some good quality poultry tonic (Vit Boost or Life-Guard) in their water. This sounds a bit of a weird thing to say, but they will be less susceptible to disease if there's litter on the floor of their ruin; it will soak up and dry out the faeces, which is one major transmitter of most infections/bacteria.

Hi Clare, I've already commented on her blog that it might be more effective if they were having the Tylan by injection but she thinks it would be too stressful so I don't feel I can say anything else. :(

x

Okies, I understand. The vet will usually give an initial injection, followed by treatment in the water. I haven't had any respiratory problem with my birds in ages, but I know my vet well, so he gives me a bottle of antibs and a load of syringes and I get on with it.

It's worth mentioning at this time of the year that keepers should make sure that the ventilation holes on their coop aren't obstructed and are adequate. People tend to lag their housing, or fill the bottom with straw/hay; this causes a build up of condensation and mould inside, which in turn causes respiratory problems in the birds. They really don't need any of this extra heat/protection.