Merlah

Struggling with assembly of wooden walk-in run

Hello there! :)

We have finally managed to start the assembly of a prebuilt walk in run. Unfortunately as soon as we got to the roof it the struggles started! As many of you here have built or been there when one was built maybe someone has an idea and can help!

The large panels all had predrilled holes through which 3inch screws went and were secured from the other side (easy).

The triangle panels for the roof though don't have any predrilled holes, and there are no more 3inch screws left either... All the other screws provided are much shorter too.

So now we are wondering: how do we secure the roof to the run? It can't possibly just rest on top of it, right? Any suggestions? Should we drill some more holes and buy more 3inch screws like the ones that were provided for the large panels? Just screw in other screws?

Also: Would you assemble the roof separately and then put it all on top, or just assemble it directly onto the run? :)

Thanks so much for your help in advance!!

If it helps visualising the whole essay a bit, this is the kind of run: https://ibb.co/fSu4cR

And this is how far we managed to get: walk_in_run.jpg

Sorry I messed up the links (of course..) Here are the fixed links:

If it helps visualising the whole essay a bit, this is the kind of run: http://www.happychicks.co.uk/walk-in-run-4ft-to-12ft-choice-of-sizes-159-p.asp

And this is how far we managed to get: https://ibb.co/fSu4cR

Can't help with the building, but can help with the links :wink: good luck building!

Just seen your post. Your roof needs to be secure because of the winds we get. I'd prebuild the side panels of the roof and then build the roof as you go using similar screws to the ones provided (so that they go a good way into the second piece of wood. Ring them and tell them they didn't send enough. You need to predrill the holes one size smaller than the screws. You may get away without if you're using self tapping screws but I'd predrill to make life easier.

Then add the roofing material, hopefully you've got instructions for that. I have a plastic wavy type roof that has plastic caps for the screws then I put some silicone on the undersurface to make doubly sure no rain came through.

It looks smashing, don't forget a bit of guttering along the bottom of the slope so the rain doesn't drain back into the run. It's so exciting getting a nice run. :D

Oh and another tip with the winds that have been around fasten your run to the concrete. My old man put some sort of screws in using some heavy duty drill. We were just talking about it today.

Plum, thanks for your help, that's fantastic advice! (Sorry the reply has taken a while :D ) The finally assembly is planned for this weekend, so we will see how it goes haha I think your advice regarding guttering and fastening down the run is really useful too, I hadn't really thought about that yet.

Thanks very much! I definitely will show it off :)) Can't wait for some girls to move in!