My first post: I just bought a Cube! Is it difficult to move a 4 meter run? What’s the easy/affordable way to have an auto closing door? Any tips for me? I’ve never even seen an Eglu in person. I’m not sure what to expect. This looks more durable than the wooden coops I’ve used.

Thanks!

Congratulations :D Is it the new one from Omlet?

The 4m run will need two people to move it, one to lift up the front and one to push/steer the Cube. Lots of people leave it in one place and have slabs around the skirt of the run or place it on a patio so it can be swept out and kept clean. I leave the door open all year round as they put themselves to bed at dusk anyway.

Look forward to hearing how you get one - take lots of photos! 

3 hours ago, Lewis said:

Congratulations :D Is it the new one from Omlet?

The 4m run will need two people to move it, one to lift up the front and one to push/steer the Cube. Lots of people leave it in one place and have slabs around the skirt of the run or place it on a patio so it can be swept out and kept clean. I leave the door open all year round as they put themselves to bed at dusk anyway.

Look forward to hearing how you get one - take lots of photos! 

I did buy the brand new one from the Omlet website!  The green ones were on sale yesterday and bought a green.  I was hoping I could move the 4 meter run by myself.  I have a nice large grassy yard.  It's nice to know that may not be possible by myself.

I was afraid to not close the door at night.  My current A-frame wooden coop suffered a massacre a few years ago.  I woke up to find the front wooden door ripped off, feathers everywhere and claw marks underneath the coop.  I believe it was a raccoon.  Whatever it was had crawled inside the open ladder door to the roost after they broke in the front door.  The Eglu looks much more secure.  There are mostly raccoons and coyotes where I live.

I used to use a 3m run on the Cube and could move it by myself on a flat lawn but think I'd struggle with 4m. You can always unclip the run and move that then the Cube.

I'm in the UK and we don't have raccoons so you may be best to close it at night. Hopefully someone will be along soon who has used an auto closer :) 

Congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure you will love it. One of the reasons I bought the Cube last spring was because Omlet said there would be an automatic opener for it coming soon. Unfortunately it has yet to materialize.

I live in north central Iowa and I have felt my girls were very secure, although I didn't use it this winter. I moved them into a more traditional coop and I'm glad I did, our weather was miserable! The traditional coop is attached to an Omlet run using a run extension from my Go Up and I really like the way this works.

This summer I will use the Go Up for a single 5-yr. old Americauna I have been unable to integrate into my flock of yearling hens. Hoping they will get used to her by keeping them in close proximity to each other over the summer. Time will tell. 

IMG_20171126_132031.jpg

IMG_20171126_132025.jpg

IMG_20171126_131911.jpg

IMG_20171126_131906.jpg

• Like 1

I love your pictures!

i do like it. I’m even able to move it by myself (4 meter run). I saw openers on eBay for the coops but they’re more than I’m willing to spend. There’s a few DIY videos on YouTube. I would like to figure something out for an automatic opener.