GrannyTrish

Flystrike in the hot weather?

This is the first time I've seen blood on an egg so I checked Doris out (yes, I can pick them up without problems now :D) and her bottom didn't have any signs of blood or anything gory. There was some poo sticking on her feathers, which made me wonder. . .  (a) should I clean it off and (b) in the summer (hahaha!) are they prone to flystrike (something guinea pigs can get)?

Can you please give me a list of medical items I should keep handy along with what they're for?

DSC_0484.JPG

Some people clean poo off feathers but I never do unless they’re clearly poorly and it’s getting really bad.

They can get flystrike in hot weather yes.

My chicken medicine kit is purple wound spray, nutri-drops, avipro avian and that’s it. I think others probably have more comprehensive stores!

• Thanks 1

I use lavender oil, eucalyptus oil and citronella in little drops on some of those hangy ceramic things around the run.

In my Cube I hang an old hankie with some drops on too.

I do have one girl who just doesn't stay clean on some of her bottom feathers so I just tease it off for her.

You are very hopeful for some hot weather in the coming months bearing in mind how far North you are :wink:

I also have nutridrops  - always handy - as is Sudocrem :grin:

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Luvachicken said:

You are very hopeful for some hot weather in the coming months bearing in mind how far North you are :wink:

:lol::lol::lol: Our back garden is very sheltered, and as we live in the sunniest part of Scotland, the temperature can reach high 20's.

I love the idea of using essential oils instead of chemicals :clap:.

21 hours ago, mullethunter said:

My chicken medicine kit is purple wound spray, nutri-drops, avipro avian and that’s it. I think others probably have more comprehensive stores!

You should see mine!

Yes, they can get fly strike, so just give them a wash if necessary. I try not to was my birds if I can help it. Spray with a mix of citronella and eucalyptus oils in water afterwards to repels flies. Sudocrem is an insect repellent and well as being healing.

• Thanks 1