patsylabrador

The Blitz in London

I visited the Battle of Britain secret bunker in Uxbridge recently and saw a map of the blitz campaign in the local area and saw my street. I didn't know we were bombed here although when I think about it with RAF Northolt it's quite obvious really. The area where I live was developed along the new Metropolitan Line in the thirties so very new when war broke out. In fact the lady and gentleman we bought our house from lived in Chelsea and would travel on the Met Line to the 'countryside' to watch their new house being built. The general area was called Metroland! Here's the map I saw... 

IMG-20180408-WA0006-01.jpeg

That's fascinating! My mum lived in Mitcham and she and her younger sister were evacuated during the war down to Bodle Street in Sussex but went back after a while; not sure exactly why as they then got bombed! The house was damaged but only the back half and was repaired. There was a shelter in the garden - I remember playing in it as a very youngster when we visited my nan (who died when I was about 8 or 9). 

I always think of the last war as 'recent' but very soon it won't even be within living memory - that's scary.

• Like 1

Love all these things.  Thanks for the photo.  

My grandmother was an ambulance driver in London and my grandfather was rejected from service because he was gassed in WW1, so he drove buses and was in the Home Guard.  My mother and sister were evacuated to Itchen Stoke to live with my grandmother's sister.  They were in a recently cut corn field when the D-Day planes with gliders flew over.  She said they were running after the planes and her feet were cut to shreds by the cut stalks.

• Like 1

Patricia, the tour takes an hour and is fascinating. The visitor centre is quite small and only takes about half an hour. It's all very new and the cafe isn't open yet. It might be worth phoning on the day, we went back yesterday and the tour was booked up by a group of cadets. We had to go back in the afternoon.