stepnout

What size are Easter Egger hens?

Well I have my new Cube c/w 3 meter run and just waiting for some random Easter egger hens to feather out and our weather to improve before I pick them up. 

Questions:

Are Easter Eggers considered Medium or large hens? The breeder just calls these a Barn yard mix these will be my first hens, I am looking forward to sharing the experience with my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter. Hence the wish to have a few colored eggs and different looking hens. I will dedicate 1/2 acre or more of grass toward Cube movement.

How many Easter Egger hens can be comfortable in the cube c/w 3 meter run? (6 max bylaw and my personnel limit )   I see the recommended QTY's on the web site just not sure about the size of xbreed eggers.

Thanks in advance 

Over here in the UK we don't call them 'Easter Eggers' but I'm assuming you mean hybrids that lay blue or green eggs?  It depends what they have been crossed with I suppose, but generally they are standard sized hens, i.e. not bantams and not large fowl. Six should be absolutely fine in a Cube. How big is the run - is it the standard one that comes with the Cube?  Allow around 1m square per hen. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Olly said:

Over here in the UK we don't call them 'Easter Eggers' but I'm assuming you mean hybrids that lay blue or green eggs?  It depends what they have been crossed with I suppose, but generally they are standard sized hens, i.e. not bantams and not large fowl. Six should be absolutely fine in a Cube. How big is the run - is it the standard one that comes with the Cube?  Allow around 1m square per hen. 

Yes they are hybrids or cross breeds. I have the the 3 meter run c/w wheels to move every day or so. If I understand correctly 1 meter sq per bird, my 3 meter run would only accommodate 3 birds?  I have lots of grass allowing fresh greens for 7 months a year. In the winter I'll put up a larger pen and attach the cube and run. I will likely purchase the Eglu cube extreme weather cover as well. I also would like to let them out of the pen for a few hours to free range in the evening. We have lots of bugs, slugs, earwigs, ants, worms etc. My field has grasses, clovers, and loads of varied vegetation. 

What worries me about allowing free ranging are the many foxes, coyotes, skunks and raccoons.

Thanks for the reply, Much appreciated.

I'd keep to no more than 3 in a run that size.  My experience is that you are more likely to have pecking issues if you over crowd them.  If you can free range them a lot, then that's different, but it sounds as though you might not be able to let them out unsupervised.  You can extend the space use in the run by adding perches at different heights.   And suspend cabbages etc on string from the top of the run for them to keep them busy. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Patricia W said:

I'd keep to no more than 3 in a run that size.  My experience is that you are more likely to have pecking issues if you over crowd them.  If you can free range them a lot, then that's different, but it sounds as though you might not be able to let them out unsupervised.  You can extend the space use in the run by adding perches at different heights.   And suspend cabbages etc on string from the top of the run for them to keep them busy. 

I'll look at building a portable wooden pen extension on wheels. I have time to think about it before the birds feather and the weather improves. I was planning for the winter months to have a larger walk in set up. I'll need to get in a shovel snow as required. I was looking at the 2 x 2 x 3 meter. attached to my 3 meter run.

I’ve been using my home made movable run extension with the 3 meter run. I made it 8’ x 10’. The birds love it. I have a few more things to add but for the most part I’m satisfied. I will be adding 4 feet of roofing panels for shade and weather protection. This winter I’ll cover the A frame with clear poly and make it a little environment Away from wind, snow and rain. Don’t worry I’ll make sure it is ventilated. What do you think?

800EE977-EFA7-43AD-87FD-F9DD96C100E4.jpeg

87C16827-4DC5-4377-9E89-71C41072E451.jpeg

• Like 1