debbietabby

odd aggression by cockerel

HI, 

advice, please. Our cockerel, which we've had for about a year, has started attacking me - but only me (not my OH) and only when I go to the shed to feed the flock their evening corn.  why has this started? What to do to fix it? If I try to fight back he gets more aggressive. I can stare him down, - but not while walking across a yard. Should I change the routine? Try a water pistol?  Is he just feeling full of the spring? Will it get worse? Reluctant to get rid of him as he's good in all other ways

Debbie

Hi, this is normal behaviour for a cockerel.  Especially in the breeding season.  He is very brave and will defend his flock to the death. 

In his view, you are below him in the pecking order, and you may be a threat to the rest of his flock.  Your OH is above him so he’s a little more respectful.  But even he needs to make sure he doesn’t get between him and his ladies because he won’t stand for it. My OH still has a scar on his shin from the puncture wound inflicted by Phillip 1st !

You can try picking him up ( easier said than done!) and carrying him around under your arm so he knows you’re above him. That works for some people.   Or you can  use a water pistol, but we’ve found meeting the aggression with aggression makes it worse.  With Phillip 2nd I distract him by throwing corn which he immediately inspects then calls for the girls to eat it, and /or I carry a piece of spare omlet fencing as defence in front of me!  No easy answer, but I do think a cockerel enhances the flock so I hope you persevere. Good luck! 

As said, this is normal behaviour in Spring. Never stand between him and the hens and feeding just him so that he can call the hens over is definitely the way to go, as feeding his hens directly will be a challenge to his authority.

Picking them up can work but I'd advise you to be wearing glasses.