stepnout

FIRST TIME CHICKEN OWNER REVIEW EGLU CUBE 3mtr

PICKED UP A MIX OF 6-8 OLD BIRDS(aged by seller) 6 days ago. To clarify these are my first chickens.

I was worried these young birds would not be able to negotiate the supplied ladder so I fashioned a plank tie-rapping it in place.

The chicks had not been away from the heat lamp at night before, as the night time temps have been dropping into the 30's and causing frost I laid a dog heating pad on top of the roosting bars and covered it with a layer of pine shavings. https://well.ca/products/kh-lectro-kennel_137315.html

I put a water bottle and a 3 pound feeder inside the Cube. I decided to keep the birds in the coop to allow them to feel safe after the ride home. Through the day I opened the door allowing the birds to have daylight and see their new surroundings. They took turns looking outside at their new world. They ate well and drank lots, going to bed at a good time.I awoke early in the morning filled up their dishes and left the Cube's door open. They stayed in for several hours. I moved their water and food outside, what do you know here came the birds...so food oriented! Up and down the ladder the first full day no trouble. In the evening I moved the food and water inside and look here they come. They have been putting themselves to bed each night since.

This morning I removed the wood plank from the ladder and they never missed a beat, back in bed taking it easy.

My observations about the cube after only one week are as follows:

I love how easy it is to clean

I love the design, the doors and hatches work flawlessly

I have not utilized the roosting bars yet because of the above mentioned heating pad but I am quite sure I will love it especially how they are removable for cleaning.

I am sure I will love the removable cleaning tray and will have a better appreciation later(see comment re: pad)

I am disappointed with the movement of the Cube c/w 3 mtr run utilizing the wheel kit. The cube does not move well at all with very little obstructions as in uneven ground or 5 inch high grass. It is obvious this was deigned for a well manicured lawn So I will actually have to make sure my grass is mowed before movement. The CUBE c/w 3 mtr run seems very flimsy while moving it on uneven ground. (i'm not talking hills and valleys I'm talking inches)

In short I find the run quite cheaply made and overpriced.

I find the cube itself well designed, a quality build and a little pricey but the ability to easily keep it clean and secure the birds in at night convinced me to pay the price.

In a few months I may revisit this review to update on how the run is holding up.

Sincerly

Stepnout

• Like 1

I love my Cube , but at first I found it very difficult to move and very flimsy . I have a four meter run attached . So I got about 100 cable ties and made the whole thing much sturdier. 

Now I can move it by myself no problem . I actually go inside the run and lift it from there . 

Hope that helps 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jen Hen said:

I love my Cube , but at first I found it very difficult to move and very flimsy . I have a four meter run attached . So I got about 100 cable ties and made the whole thing much sturdier. 

Now I can move it by myself no problem . I actually go inside the run and lift it from there . 

Hope that helps 

Yes I too love the cube it’s how flimsy the run is I have the issue with. 

I did the same as you with the ties. I put well over 100 on every spot I could think of. It did help but really for the price of these runs geash you think a tubular frame might have been a good idea. 

If I was to do it again I would buy the cube and attach it to my own tractor. 

I do like your idea about getting inside to move it. The handles on the UK site look like a great idea but they are not available in Canada

• Like 1

I think you must have the new cube.  I’ve got 2x Mark 1 cube.  The oldest one is at least 12 years old ( I bought it second hand) and the other is 10years old.  That’s green and has faded, but the other is blue and seems to have retained its’ colour.  Other than that they are as good as new. 

I'm not sure if the run specification has changed.  Mine is still very sturdy.   They aren’t fox proof of course but fox resistant.  My experience is that they aren’t rodent proof at all which has been a problem this last winter for the first time.  That would be my criticism.  And yes, cable ties work well to tighten it up.  

Even though mine is the type with wheels with handles, the best way to move it is without the run.  But I, like many in the UK, have it permanently in one position. I have slabs around it rather than in the run, but many people have it on slabs.  We cover the run with clear tarpaulin and use a hemp based product called aubiouse in the run.  I change that maybe 3 times a year, 

i hope you keep enjoying keeping chickens! 

• Thanks 1

I absolutely love my Mk1 Eagle Cube (and the MiL has always been quite jealous too as she has a wooden one which she finds hard to clean). I have a Mk1 run, which is fine - but I do prefer the design of the new runs.

One tip I will give for the runs is: cable ties! Lot's of them. I don't use the Omlet bits at all, just the cable ties. It made it much more secure than it would have been otherwise.

• Thanks 1

Well then here it is, I have been using the Eglu Cube Mk2 since May this year about 3 months now.

My ability to move the cube has improved with experience.

The run in my mind is still OVER priced! I have used over 100 extra cable ties to increase the rigidity of the run.

I see value added if someone were to purchase the Eglu run handles. These handles would greatly improve/aid in the movement of the run. These are not available in Canada! Why?

Cleaning is an A plus for me. Obviously by now the flock are using the roost bars and all is well. I have 6 barn yard mix pullets and they have plenty of room. Not overly large birds.

I have only 1 of my pullets laying now. She loves the nest box and her flock sisters are starting to investigate the nest box as well. I feel the nest box being bellow the level of roost bars is a great design as the birds do not go in and dirty the bedding.

I still stand by my earlier comments in my first review.

Coop movement has improved with my experience in how I handle the coop.

Does the mark 2 run not have the tubular supports along the length, as with mark 1?

Edited to add: just looked at photos of it and I can see that it does have tubular supports at the join of each section. There's a join halfway down the height of the panels though, so that will probably contribute to the lack of stability.

Edited by The Dogmother
  • Like 1