soapdragon

Ancient Chinese Hamster

We got 2 Chinese hamsters from a rescue centre 3 years ago come the end of July. They thought they were about 6 months old then and, although Hoi Sin died about 6 months ago, Wun Tun is still with us and sprightly. He is waggling his rear end a bit so I think walking is a bit difficult he is still bright of eye and inquisitive. Can he really be 3.5 :o 

I’d guess so.  You are looking at averages with life expectancy of them anyway.  We had a guinea pig who lived to 11 so way outside our expectations.  Sadly, she died when being looked after by a child whose parents wouldn’t allow him m to keep animals long term. He cried for 4 days.......

just enjoy him.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Patricia W said:

I’d guess so.  You are looking at averages with life expectancy of them anyway.  We had a guinea pig who lived to 11 so way outside our expectations.  Sadly, she died when being looked after by a child whose parents wouldn’t allow him m to keep animals long term. He cried for 4 days.......

Oh no! That poor child!

Thanks CT! The vet said straight away that now was the time and, on emptying out his cage, I found two of the three little stashes of sunflower seeds that we always hide for our hammys after cleaning them out. Usually they are straight into nosing around and digging for them so the fact they are still there from Sunday afternoon indicates that he just gave up.