Nic_Peters

Bad Case of Scaly Leg Mites

Hi All, 

I put up a photo on a duck forum (I happened to be on it at the time and they also talk chickens) with pictures of 2 of my chickens feet that are bubbled and rough and look awful. I already feel dreadful for not having noticed this ages ago, so please be kind! Its been identified as Scaly Leg Mites. Lots of advice came back including soak in cooking oil, olive oil, vaseline, gasoline, petroleum jelly, Epsom salts, Ivermetim and Permetherin liquid and many many others and I'm now stuck as to which way to go. So I've started at the very easy end of things and bought some Nettex Just for Scaly Legs, which says treat the birds every 3 days. So here are my questions.....

Question 1: The Chickens have an Eglu Cube, which I've taken apart and sprayed with anti mite spray and washed thoroughly again (its cleaned fully every week). But that is housed inside a large run with bark on the floor and wooden sleepers to stop foxes - do I have to somehow treat the whole area or just where they sleep? If so what with?

Question 2 - I've tried spraying twice and am not entirely convinced it will work as most of the spray goes everywhere and not necessarily coats their foot thoroughly. Plus the moment you put them down they start scratching the earth again and the wet foot then just becomes coated in mud and dust. Any top tips for how to get this under control quickly? What of the many products mentioned up above are actually useful or do I just keep going with the Nettex? 

Lastly, I have red mite powder down in the coop, is there an alternative I could use that would cover red mites and scaly mites so as to not let my ladies have this problem again? Thanks in advance for all your help. I've gone from no info to too much and the internet is just as confusing!

My one remaining chicken has had this recently - first on one leg and then the other  - I got Ivermectin from the vets for it and it has now cleared - you will have to withdraw eggs unfortunately but it works quickly and they stop pecking at the sore legs too.   I tried spray years ago and the Ivermectin is the only thing that seems to work for me - it also worms her at the same time!

7 hours ago, Blackrocksrock said:

My one remaining chicken has had this recently - first on one leg and then the other  - I got Ivermectin from the vets for it and it has now cleared - you will have to withdraw eggs unfortunately but it works quickly and they stop pecking at the sore legs too.   I tried spray years ago and the Ivermectin is the only thing that seems to work for me - it also worms her at the same time!

OK, so there are a couple of methods to try here, which really work. One thing to remember though is that even after the mites have gone, the scales will still look raised and rough until the bird moults again. The they will look better but never perfect again... the longer it is left untreated, the less the appearance of the legs will recover. What you WILL see though is the crusting under the scales (mite droppings/exude) which will drop away as the mites die off.

The preventative method mentioned above is ongoing and will prevent infestations of most kinds of mites, chicken-savvy vets will prescribe (cascade as it's not licensed for use on poultry) and Ivermectin-based spot-on which will work systemically and is used quarterly. Egg withdrawal is 7 days.

The topical method which you mention in your original post is also very good; the best way to apply this would be to spray some in an egg cup and dip a soft toothbrush into it, then brush gently up under the leg scales. Repeat as per the pack instructions and it will also soften and condition the scales slightly.

Either way, it is important not to pick at the raised scales as this could cause pain and infection.

Thank you so much!. I've a farm vet coming out tomorrow to give us some Ivermectin amd show me what needs to be done. Realise I've failed my ladies through lack of knowledge and noticing the changes so now hell bent on making it good. Thank you for your help x