soapdragon

Remembrance Day

I have found today a very thought provoking one.  YS and I went to the village service at our War Memorial (as we always do) but ES (14) was still in bed at 10.30am in spite of us all having talked about going to the service yesterday and him saying that he wanted to come. OH was in the middle of baking bread and said he'd mistimed it so couldn't go either; I felt very upset that neither of them made the effort (which was, after all, not massive.) 12 men went to war from Chalgrove and didn't come home again - 3 brothers amongst them. 

This afternoon I made some ANZAC biscuits; my maternal grandfather was an ANZAC and fought (and lost a leg) at Gallippoli . To say that I am 'looking forward' to watching the highlights of the day later this evening sounds a bit odd but certainly I do want to see as much of it as possible (I should have recorded it - stupid me!) It does seem that this 100th anniversary of the Armistice has really captured people's hearts and minds. Its so incredibly touching to watch contemporary footage and to think how easy we have it all nowadays.

Not a cheerful, jolly post but I did feel that I wanted to mark the day.

Here in France there were services held in most small villages, an invitation is sent out by post from the local  Maire.

Ours was very poignant as one gentleman's father lost his life along with two brothers and they are named on the war memorial in our village,  when I got home I worked out the man must be over 100.

on another note about memorials, there is a memorial along side the road about 3 miles from me, on it are four names and the date of 15th August 1944, the four men were resistance and the local priest gave them up to the Germans who chased them for about 6miles and captured them and hanged all four in the woods, needless to say the priest did not see the year out and was shot by locals, but every year on 15th August a service and a parade take place.

We went to a bun-throwing yesterday to mark the end of WW1.  It was a joyous ( if wet) occasion.  Then today it has been followed by a number of memorial services.   But I think the most thought provoking thing I’ve seen has been the sand pictures around the coast, which are then washed away by the tide.