AyeAyeMagpie

Advice on vent please?

Hello, hoping some more experienced chicken keepers will be able to advise on my chicken Rosie's vent. I've noticed that her bum feathers have been looking a bit unkempt and mucky over the last week so I brought her in this afternoon for a wash and to take a closer look. She's lost a lot of feathers on her bum and it just doesn't look quite right. Do you think this is a fungal infection? I don't really know what I'm looking at.

20190106_154427_zps0ckknu2f.jpg

20190106_154440_zpsvzu8op01.jpg

And one of Rosie just for a giggle (it looks like I've plugged her in to charge up) ...

20190106_154744_zpspva73plh.jpg

Not that I've noticed and I've spent a lot of time with them this week, but it could be happening in the coop before I let them out. The flock dynamic seems settled. Could it also be moulting? But what about the fuzzy mounds at the base of some feathers - does that look fungal? I'm such a complete novice at this I really haven't a clue.

I’m no expert but it looks like it could be lice eggs attached to the base of her feathers, if you do a search on the forum you should find more information and pictures. 

Check her over for tiny grey/brown lice on her skin.   If you find any she will need treating with a lice treatment product.

I’m sure someone with more experience will come along shortly.

Looks like lice eggs to me as well. Not particularly harmful but should be treated immediately. I'd trim off the feathers that have eggs on, because they can't be washed off and will hatch. We use an unlicensed dog and cat product so I won't mention it. You can dust them with Barrier lice powder, but that doesn't kill the eggs.

Thank you! I really appreciate your opinions. I've since compared with pics of chicken lice eggs on Google and got a second opinion from the vet just now, looks like it's a simple case of treating all chickens until it's dealt with. I hope this thread proves useful for future chicken keepers with the same issue. 

Definitely lice, having dealt with this myself over the summer! 

The nit casings didn't really disappear even after treatment (though some came off with repeated warm baths) and Wilma's feathers oy went baxk to normal.after her moult.

I used Xeno spot on* which I bought online. I can't remember which dosage but i think it was the Xeno 450* ?? Search my posts and you'll find it.  The dosing info seemed excessive in terms of the amount that needed to go onto each bird so in the end I took advice from a vet friend and just emptied one capsule on each bird. It worked fine and i repeat dosed 2 weeks later to be sure they were gone. 

* should have said, i think it is not licenced for poultry in the uk - though it does contain dosing info for poultry on the box. 

Edited by sarkymite

Definitely lice eggs - you need  a spot-on preventative treatment on all the flock and repeat it quarterly. If they have lots of lice, then use a spray containing permethrin on the skin in that area. Repeat every 3 days until you see no more lice. Treat the whole flock, keep up the preventative and inspect them every month.

Note that neither of these products is currently licensed for use on poultry in the UK

nettex-total-mite-kill-aerosol-spray-760