ajm200

Is it normal for Pekin Bantams to be quite lazy?

Was trying to poop-pick the cube run with my new girls in situ.  Ended up opening the front arch to get in and then did a very odd limbo dance to get between perches and stuff with 3 little chickens around my feet. They then decided to hide behind me on the drinker before moving onto my back.  This led to their first free ranging session as I plonked them outside before someone got hurt.

They wandered around the edge of the run for about 15 mins pecking at stuff then wandered back into the run and sat down!

Left their door open for another hour after I was finished but they stayed sat down just shuffling a bit to see what was happening or eat.

Our hybrids would have stayed out  until dark or we told them to go to bed (They were well trained).  

After watching, and laughing, at my struggles today hubby has agreed I can convert our 8x6 greenhouse into a run in the summer and he’ll me a new bigger one when I’m ready to grow stuff again Yay!!! 

• Like 1

What my delightful family call collecting the droppings from the animal run 🤢.  We tried hosing down the gravel when we had big chickens and ended up with a solid lump of smelly stones.  Now I get to collect it all with a trowel and a trug.

at least the guineas and rabbits don’t have woodchip and can have their runs swept

Edited by ajm200

My pekins go to bed about 15 minutes before the big ones.  The younger two run round like mad things, the slightly older one (how much older? Dunno!) shuffles around quite well but does not like to pounce or be pounced on!  I guess their little legs do tire out quicker than the bigg'uns but they sure move when you need to catch them!

Thanks.  Mine are getting better at exploring but still don’t go far or forage enthusiastically. They have found a spot where they like to sit together and watch the world.  Just used to bigger hens tearing the place apart and getting everywhere 

Mine move more than the brahma boy!  Now he is lazy!  He'll sit down to eat, even if the food is raised for him - then he stretches his neck.  Stupid Trigger!  The Swedes are so busy though - birds with a purpose!  I have noticed that the little ones don't go outside the run much while the bigger birds stroll and graze.  Probably because they are under cover so feel safe plus with the big ones outside they have freedom indoors!

• Like 1

Mine took one look outside the run at the wet patio and decided to spend the day under cover.  Most of the time was spent together in the big flowerpot dustbath.  Not using it properly as that would require movement and energy expenditure 😂  They’ve been collectively nicknamed the ‘Poultry Princesses’

Maybe they will improve with age 

• Haha 1