StephanieDD

Predator-proof? Need advice on Eglu Go Rabbit Hutch with run

Hi everyone, 
we are currently looking into buying an Eglu Go Rabbit Hutch with the 2 m run. We are planning to have 3 guinea pigs live outdoors in it. We have a secure garden area that they can use for free roaming when we are there. Also we would like to transform our former cat outdoor house to link it to the run with one of those zippy tunnels for extra snuggle and hiding space. 

I have read that the Eglu is fox secure and winter proof. However, think I'm reading too many forums and stuff and now getting doubts that is also preventing smaller predators like martens, weasels and the like to find their way into the run. I cannot find the mesh width on the omelet website, does somebody please know the measurements? In various forums people were saying if an egg fits through it, the marten can go through it easily. Has anyone had any experience with this topic?

I would also be interested to know, if you shut the guinea pigs into the hutch during the night? I know that this would probably solve the predator issue, but as the size of the hutch is not too big, I am not so comfortable with shutting them in. And how do you deal with this in winter? 

I would be really grateful to get some advice as the Eglu would fit perfectly for us, but I also want to secure the little ones  as good as possible. 

Thx, Stephanie

Depends on the size of your egg I think! Measured the mesh and it’s about 1 by 3 inch. (See photos)

You need to give the guineas time to adjust to the outside temperatures. So don’t get them too late in the year. Haven’t ever had them myself, so can’t comment on winter conditions, but I don’t see a problem in locking them in at night.

3A0F2928-D182-4685-A8D9-84127B2DC0E3.jpeg

681FC5C5-E0EC-4D3C-AEAF-5F311507343F.jpeg

Even the tiny eggs of my bantams don’t fit through it, but it certainly isn’t mouse or rat proof. Can’t comment on any other visitors like weasels etc. If you take the food away at night, it can limit problems with rodents.

The Go also has insulating inserts, if you worry about the temperature in winter. (Have never used mine though... as chickens have good insulation by nature)