celi

Advice on timid rooster

I've had my Pekin rooster for over a year now and since the very start he's been afraid of people. His brothers were more confident but he would always shy away when I approached him. This isn't too much of a problem I guess and people will say that it's better than having an aggressive rooster but I don't want him to fear me either. I've handled him in the past, I've attempted to feed him from my hand, he's even lived in our house for a short while as he recovered from an injured leg. I'm not really sure what I should do to get him to trust me. 

As this is the first rooster that I've kept long-term (in the past we've given them away to other people), I don't know a whole lot about their life stages. I have, however, seen people talk about roosters and their 'don't touch me' phases and things like that but I can never seem to find more information. Is this a phase? He's still quite young and he could grow out of being scared. If not, does anyone have any advice on how to make him more confident around people? 

Any discussion on this would be really appreciated!

Also try treats which you give him alongside a signal, like shaking a tin.  Then he will begin to connect you with pleasure.   After a time, he might even come to just the shake of a tin.   

Another factor may be the time of year.  Mine have usually been subdued during the winter.  It is only when it becomes spring, and the hens come back into lay, do they get livelier.   They respond to the rising hormones in the hens.   So give him time.  When he begins to strut his stuff in front of the girls, he will likely become more confident with you. 

On 1/8/2020 at 7:05 PM, The Dogmother said:

Can I ask why he needs to be confident around people? Is he fulfilling his husbandly duties with his wives?

If you are set on being able to handle him more, then I suggest that you get him out of the coop a night, about an hour after they've gone into roost and handle him when you are both calm.

He is dutiful with the flock but he’s kind of a wuss and doesn’t do anything helpful when there’s any kind of danger. Other than that, he’s lovely and always lets them eat any nice treats he finds.

But yes, mostly it is just so I can pick him up whenever I may need to. You make a good point, I’ll start trying to handle him at night to get him used to it.

Thanks for the reply!

On 1/8/2020 at 7:19 PM, Patricia W said:

Also try treats which you give him alongside a signal, like shaking a tin.  Then he will begin to connect you with pleasure.   After a time, he might even come to just the shake of a tin.   

Another factor may be the time of year.  Mine have usually been subdued during the winter.  It is only when it becomes spring, and the hens come back into lay, do they get livelier.   They respond to the rising hormones in the hens.   So give him time.  When he begins to strut his stuff in front of the girls, he will likely become more confident with you. 

That’s a good idea! I used to always whistle when I was giving out treats but I haven’t done that in a while. I’ll do that from now on and hopefully it’ll work.

That could be why it’s extra difficult at the minute to spend any time near him. He’s definitely less social because of the time of the year. 

Thank you for your response :-)