JayBee

Helps sexing Chamois Penciled Friesian Chicks

Hello, 

Almost 5 weeks ago we had a hatch of 5 Friesian chicks (with the help of a super broody Buff Plymouth Rock).

I am pretty sure we have 3 girls, 1 boy and then the 5th possibly a boy?

If pop up some pictures I would be greatful for some opinions on gender.

Sorry for poor photography, had to take through the bars as if I get in with them they climb all over me looking for treats and I only get burred closeups of eyes and beaks.

20200706_074429_capture(0).jpg

20200706_074359_capture.jpg

20200706_074401.jpg

20200706_074409.jpg

20200706_074404_capture.jpg

20200706_074402.jpg

3 weeks is quite young and the photos aren't 100% clear (I understand why!) but deffo 1 boy, and probably 2 girls.  Then there is almost definitely one more boy and probably another girl, but I can't quite decide if I am looking at the same chick each time.  Overall, your assumption is probably correct. Maybe take another picture when they are a bit older. They are lovely, lucky you!

42 minutes ago, Daphne said:

3 weeks is quite young and the photos aren't 100% clear (I understand why!) but deffo 1 boy, and probably 2 girls.  Then there is almost definitely one more boy and probably another girl, but I can't quite decide if I am looking at the same chick each time.  Overall, your assumption is probably correct. Maybe take another picture when they are a bit older. They are lovely, lucky you!

Thank you.

They are 5 weeks on Wed/Thurs

In the bottom two pictures the 3 I think might be girls are on left with the two I think might be boys on the left?

Will try and enlist my children to help me get some better pictures.

Yes, 2 boys to the right.  The issue I have with the girls is that I am not sure of the comb development of one of them.  The trouble is that combs can develop a bit later as a giveaway, so whilst we think we know when we have boys from an early age, the girls can challenge us a bit more!

Thanks guys, they are rather sweet, I wish I had the space to keep them all. But unfortunately I think our limit is 2 girls (hopefully we have 2 😂) and one little cockerel that my children are fond of (they have named him HayHay after the chicken in the Disney film Moana).