Annabel

Hatching Eggs Advice - keeping broody with flock?

Hi Everyone,

Some of you may remember a few months ago I was hoping to hatch out some eggs in an incubator but following research into how difficult it is to rehome cockerels and feeling that I couldn't kill them, I gave up my dream and burst the excitement bubble of my daughters.

My campine has recently gone broody - hissing at me and sitting in the nesting box for literally the whole day on a clutch of eggs I have let her have and so I have rethought about hatching out some eggs.  I enlisted the help of my farmer friend who has found me two homes for cockerels (not a cooking pot home!) - one a farmer and another a rescue lady who is happy to have a resulting cockerel.  I am therefore going to pick up just two fertile eggs (I know neither may hatch and I know both may be cockerels - but I only have two homes for worst case scenario and so do not want to pick up more than 2 incase I have 3 boys and can't find an extra home).  So my questions are:

1) Why can't broodys be kept within the flock to sit on the eggs?  Seems it is possible but not a popular option?

2) when chicks are hatched can I still keep them in with the flock or are they likely to be attacked by rest of flock even with mother present?

3) or could I separate the run and rehouse the mother and chicks in a small outdoor house within the omlet run (I used to have a cat carrier in the run and the mother used to love sitting in there and laying her eggs - would this be in any way appropriate or is this too cold even in summer?

I have a MK1 with 3m run (soon to be 4m) and they all free range everyday (almost all day) - 5 chickens in the flock.

Any advice would be much appreciated - and anything I have not considered?

Thank you

Broodies can get very aggressive. Chicks can be trodden on and need separate feed anyway. They are best kept separate until the chicks are 6 weeks old, at which time the mother will lose interest and can be re-introduced to the flock. Chicks need to remain separated until they are old enough to defend themselves. They will be on rearer pellets after 6 weeks. You may run into problems putting them in with the flock as they will be invading the territory. 

46 minutes ago, Beantree said:

Broodies can get very aggressive. Chicks can be trodden on and need separate feed anyway. They are best kept separate until the chicks are 6 weeks old, at which time the mother will lose interest and can be re-introduced to the flock. Chicks need to remain separated until they are old enough to defend themselves. They will be on rearer pellets after 6 weeks. You may run into problems putting them in with the flock as they will be invading the territory. 

Just what I would have said; she must have separate housing with them. I heard only recently of chicks being killed by another hen.

If you're not able to hatch for practical reasons, then I'd pop her in a broody cage to snap her out of it.

Hi thank you for all the advice. I am looking into separate quarters for her now. If both hatch and are girls they could both be kept as we are getting a walk in run to add on but I could also rehome as I have a friend who would happily take a hen.

Campines are quite petite birds aren't they?  I have my broody (well actually two broodies) and my chicks in an indoor rabbit cage which works very well and they are very reasonable on Amazon.  Good luck with your hatching - it's exciting and terrifying in equal measures! x

20200622_212045.jpg

Yes Campines are generally quite slender.  That's a brilliant and very helpful piece of advice SeramaSilly.  Thank you for your support and good wishes.  I hope it goes well, we are all really looing forward to it.  I've wanted to do this since hatching chicks were bought into my class when I was 6!  So happy to be trying it with my children and to have nice homes lined up.

• Like 2

Ha ha - yes I really hope to be able to send photos if they hatch. My camping has just accepted them and has settled on top which is great. 

Mice seen a fold away run which I’ll probably invest in and have already checked out some nice rabbit cages (so reasonably priced which is great too!)

• Like 1