ellasflock

Worms or coccidiosis?

Hi, sorry to have to put this picture on, but I am getting rather worried about my hen, and I have seen that other people have uploaded photos for help! So my two hybrids, went into the vets because one of them had an infected crop, and she had an operation to help her and is now doing well, but since, my other hen hasn’t laid any eggs and has still got blood in her faeces, I did write something to ask for help on here before and someone recommended I use flubenvet incase they have worms, but that was because of a separate incident, and I have now got flubenvet and they have been feeding from it for about 4 days, and all of their faeces’ are okay but this hen still has blood. I have only recently got these two hens and it seems they both had some problems when I got them so I don’t know what is wrong. The vet seems to think she is okay but today she was all puffed up and not as active as usual. I have ordered some coccidiosis treatment and it should be arriving tomorrow, and it’s a supplement for their water. I read something else about someone whose chicken poop looked like this and was just intestinal lining that had shed, but it is really hard to tell. If this has happened to anyone else before, please let me know.😬

86FF28CE-0E46-4314-AF3D-4CA950B6514B.jpeg

Unfortunately the photo is too distant to be able to tell with certainty, but I'd be inclined to say at this stage that it is neither worms nor coccidiosis, but simply shed intestinal lining. The questions are, are her other poo's normal and is this an isolated incident? If she is continually doing these it may well be coccidiosis, although the few poo's I've seen of that are far bloodier.

We've had a spate of shed lining here since it turned quite cold. Not an event I've noticed before, but it is unusually cold here and perhaps that is a factor that prompts it?

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for replying, I hope that this is the case, it is hard to tell to be honest but I think all her other poops are fine. But there was a patch of time last week and the week prior where most of my hens had blood in their faeces but the problem solved itself when I gave them flubenvet, and I only noticed yesterday that she wasn’t herself and when she pooped after I gave her a warm bath inside, incase she was egg bound, she pooped with blood and I got slightly worried, as clearly the flubenvet hadn’t worked but it had on the others. So maybe it could just be intestinal shedding but it wouldn’t explain her in-activness so I am trying to pair the two together?

Problem with chickens Ellasflock, is that they can sometimes have two problems at the same time and it is the combination that makes them ill with difficult symptoms to identify. You are right to be worried about her inactivity, but with all her other poo's normal and having been given Flubenvet I'd be at a loss as well. Don't know what to suggest now, other than making sure she doesn't get too cold from her inactivity. Have you a thermometer to check her under-wing temperature? It should be above 36C, as their core temperature is 38C (and can get to 40C if I remember correctly). If you check them all you will have a better idea.

• Thanks 1