Jen346

Ideas please.. 2m x 6m area for chickens

Hi all 

We are new to this and having recently moved we are lucky enough to have an area of the garden fenced off that will be soley for chickens the area is 2m  wide and 6m long but with another huge area for free roaming . I have purchased a secondhand mk 1 cube with 4m run but wondering if I should extend it by another 2m or add another cube at the other end ?? What would you do with this space?? 

The pond will be filled in and raised veg beds put on that side (chicken proofed )

Thanks 

20210202_133036.jpg

20210131_171758.jpg

I would get a walk in run for that area, with a roof and then either place the Cube inside or attach it on the outside. 
Also depending on the number of chickens you’ll get, don’t expect much of the grass to last.

If you want to get it right first time around, pave the lot and place a covered walk in run on it. You won’t regret it!

• Like 1

That's a nice amount of space you have.

I'm not sure of the best way to put a chicken run or similar on the long strip, but at least you can make it the whole of that size.

Personally, I would keep the pond for all the nature it would bring, but I can see that it would get in the way of your veggie patch

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

I would get a walk in run for that area, with a roof and then either place the Cube inside or attach it on the outside. 
Also depending on the number of chickens you’ll get, don’t expect much of the grass to last.

If you want to get it right first time around, pave the lot and place a covered walk in run on it. You won’t regret it!

Thanks for your reply, it's all fake grass so do you think I should remove the fake grass from the area the run will be ?

58 minutes ago, Luvachicken said:

That's a nice amount of space you have.

I'm not sure of the best way to put a chicken run or similar on the long strip, but at least you can make it the whole of that size.

Personally, I would keep the pond for all the nature it would bring, but I can see that it would get in the way of your veggie patch

I had to rescue a slow worm from it this morning, I am tempted but it would have to be a natural pond as previous owners removed all electrics to it and I'd quite like the chickens to be able to roam freely in that area, not sure how safe / clean that would be with a pond 😆

20210202_132803.jpg

20210202_132843.jpg

8 minutes ago, Jen346 said:

Thanks for your reply, it's all fake grass so do you think I should remove the fake grass from the area the run will be ?

It will near to impossible to keep clean, so yes, I would remove and pave over. Then use either wood chips or aubiose in the run.

Lovely slow worm!

Edited by Cat tails
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would get rid of he fake grass and do as Cattails suggests. Pave that area, buy or build a big walk in run to attach to your Cube (great choice by the way) and use wood chip or aubiose or similar in the run. I wouldn’t buy a second Cube unless you’re planning on having more that 8 or so chooks.

Like Luvachicken I would definitely not fill the pond in - it’s the best way to increase biodiversity to a garden. I can see that at the moment yours is pretty lethal for wildlife but you wouldn’t need a pump or anything to have it as a wildlife pond, just as Luvachicken says add some big pebbles and boulders so anything that gets in there can get in again. That is a lovely slow worm - I’m surprised to see it out and about at this time of year.

I have a pond with chickens who free range around it. I built the pond after the chickens had been here a couple of years but I’d say they instinctively know what it is - they drink from the edge sometimes but that’s it.

1 hour ago, mullethunter said:

I have a pond with chickens who free range around it. I built the pond after the chickens had been here a couple of years but I’d say they instinctively know what it is - they drink from the edge sometimes but that’s it.

When I first had chickens, the Omlet ones that came with my cube, they free ranged my garden and also skirted round my pond.

They soon trashed the garden and ended up with a nice run instead.

If you keep the pond, don't put goldfish in it  - they eat most wildlife, although they do provide food for passing herons.

• Thanks 1