McJJJ

Universal Automatic Chicken Coop Door Light Sensor

We received our Omlet Universal Automatic Chicken Coop Door the other day and are excited to have it! One problem we're trying to solve is having the door open early enough for the chickens to be let out. We're using the Light mode, but the door doesn't open early enough, it's about 30 min. or so late (the chickens are already up and making a lot of noise). If you go outside to check, there's some sunlight (i.e. it's not dark and I can see just fine), but the light level reads "1". It seems like the light meter has a pretty narrow range of "brightness" that it detects and it's not quite sensitive enough (or maybe a software/programming change could fix it?). Is there a way to adjust it so that the door opens earlier, with less light? I'd rather have the light sensor be too sensitive, since you can delay opening/closing, but, as of now, there's no way to get it to open any earlier when using light mode. I've been outside and moved the unit around to see if the light level changes at all, but it didn't matter where I held it, the light level always registered "1", even though there was plenty of light to see clearly. I know we can manually enter the time, but one of the main reasons for getting this is so that we didn't have to do that all the time (since it changes throughout the year). Thanks!

I've never used the light sensor on my autodoor.

I only set the time to open early in the morning and shut later in the evening.

At the moment it opens at 6.30 am and closes at 8.30 pm.

Later in the summer, the time to close will probably be much later as it gets hotter and I don't like to think of them being too hot.

At most, the time probably gets changed about 3 times during the year.

On 5/7/2021 at 6:34 PM, McJJJ said:

We received our Omlet Universal Automatic Chicken Coop Door the other day and are excited to have it! One problem we're trying to solve is having the door open early enough for the chickens to be let out. We're using the Light mode, but the door doesn't open early enough, it's about 30 min. or so late (the chickens are already up and making a lot of noise). If you go outside to check, there's some sunlight (i.e. it's not dark and I can see just fine), but the light level reads "1". It seems like the light meter has a pretty narrow range of "brightness" that it detects and it's not quite sensitive enough (or maybe a software/programming change could fix it?). Is there a way to adjust it so that the door opens earlier, with less light? I'd rather have the light sensor be too sensitive, since you can delay opening/closing, but, as of now, there's no way to get it to open any earlier when using light mode. I've been outside and moved the unit around to see if the light level changes at all, but it didn't matter where I held it, the light level always registered "1", even though there was plenty of light to see clearly. I know we can manually enter the time, but one of the main reasons for getting this is so that we didn't have to do that all the time (since it changes throughout the year). Thanks!

Did you get an answer to this? We bought one and are having the same problem - while point is to open at sunrise so my girls don't start bullying each other, but it's not opening at sunrise. We haven't set a delay for morning but hubby thinks maybe it's delaying anyway. Did Omlet get back to you to help? Bloody expensive mistake if it doesn't do the one job it's designed for...

On 1/31/2022 at 12:26 AM, CCL said:

Did you get an answer to this? We bought one and are having the same problem - while point is to open at sunrise so my girls don't start bullying each other, but it's not opening at sunrise. We haven't set a delay for morning but hubby thinks maybe it's delaying anyway. Did Omlet get back to you to help? Bloody expensive mistake if it doesn't do the one job it's designed for...

Yes I got an answer. It's basically "broken", for lack of a better term. There's nothing that can be done to adjust the light sensor sensitivity or have it open sooner if you are using the light sensor. I think their answer was to just set it to manual and occasionally update the times. This is what we did, and it works, but it's a bit of a pain and I'm not too happy to have bought it and then not have it work as advertised. The door is great other than that. To fix it they could update the firmware and lower the sensitivity for the open setting (or allow you to adjust it). A hybrid mode would be good too, where you could have one be auto and the other manual.