Don’t know what you consider disinfectant spray, but I certainly wouldn’t Detol the whole place. There is stuff called ground sanitising powder, which is made for keeping stables etc clean. Stalosan is one. You just sprinkle it on the wood chips and rake it in lightly.

3 hours ago, Cat tails said:

Don’t know what you consider disinfectant spray, but I certainly wouldn’t Detol the whole place. There is stuff called ground sanitising powder, which is made for keeping stables etc clean. Stalosan is one. You just sprinkle it on the wood chips and rake it in lightly.

Thank you. I wasn’t thinking detol lol! But I watched a webinar on chicken keeping from omlet and it was stated to disinfect the woodchip and I didn’t really know what that was relating to. Thanks for your suggestion 

My wife and I have a roof and a couple of shielded sides on our WIR, so we don't bother with woodchip. Instead, every three months or so we just do a good old double-dig of the WIR floor, walk around on the soil to compact a bit and then let the girls dig it all up again. If there's anything on the floor that gives us reason for concern, we just wheelbarrow that area of soil out to elsewhere in the garden (let's face it, it's good fertiliser) and then dig up some soil from elsewhere in the garden to wheelbarrow in and replace the volume.

Disinfectants are fine to clear up afterwards if you have to fix an underlying problem (such as a perpectually waterlogged area in the run) but in my opinion, as long as the ground remains normally pretty dry, nature is as good at disinfecting as any chemicals you might buy.