Beaudyne

More hatching eggs! šŸ˜

Guys Iā€™ve got my next set of Silver Appenzeller hatching eggs!! My first lot are just over 8 weeks old now and Iā€™ve sold 3 hens. Iā€™m keeping one and someone is buying the last one next week. I have 3 blinking cockerels!! But they are all quite happy so until I have takers theyā€™ll just live together and Iā€™ll keep my eye on them all.Ā 
Ā 

First lot ofĀ pictures areĀ my Appenzellerā€™s now and next is my new eggs. Will keep you all updatedā€¦.plus Iā€™ve had some Pygmy goats. Iā€™m in love šŸ˜Ā 

443D0C10-E29B-421A-84FA-9246E795013F.jpeg

DF8FAD1F-E0E9-437C-8E9C-F2C1C0A95D0B.jpeg

AF0CE0B9-BEF1-4958-80DC-AC6DA5F54167.jpeg

213902E0-6EAC-437E-85E6-5CB24999098A.jpeg

EC0C6821-5ED0-4878-9948-200E59A5D75E.jpeg

60764931-A83E-48E6-B1E3-9359F1856F64.jpeg

2BE1ECEF-6DF2-4DCE-A509-B99AA6B74B2A.jpeg

8AC2942D-C7E5-4115-BD4D-D59493F5210F.jpeg

• Like 1

@LuvachickenĀ oh gosh completely forgot to tell you all the names šŸ˜…. My husband said the one condition of having them was he had to name themā€¦.so meet Tony(ginger), Silvio(dark brown)Ā and Paulie (white). Names are threeĀ of the characters from the sopranos šŸ™ˆšŸ˜…Ā 

Ā 

And like in the sopranos Tony is the boss šŸ˜†

• Like 1

Guys!! One of my eggs in the incubator has pipped and itā€™s only day 17! I can hear it chirping. I havenā€™t even stopped rotating yet. They are suppose to hatch on Wednesday and stopĀ rotating on Monday.Ā 
Ā 

What do I do? Shall I stop rotating early? Will the chick be okay to be born this early? And can I give it to my broody hen and then give her the others once theyā€™ve hatched? Ahh help šŸ™ˆ

@Cat tailsĀ yep definitely counted right. And counted and counted and counted some more šŸ˜…

A friend has just said, she wonders if Iā€™ve got a quail egg in there too? It is a lot smaller than the others and quails hatch in 17 days. Or the Appenzeller hen could have sat on this egg for a little bit before I incubated it?

I would stop turning now (youā€™re stop on day 18 anyway), up the humidity and cross your fingers! I reckon youā€™d know if it was a quail egg - theyā€™re a LOT smaller than a bantam hen egg. I reckon youā€™re right and the hen mustā€™ve started the incubation off because that really is early.

I donā€™t know whether you can give a hen 1 chick and then a load of others 3 days later. Do you have a brooder you could use instead?

• Thanks 2

@mullethunterĀ thanks for this advice! First of allā€¦.the chick has hatched and is looking very healthy and strong but on the small side. Definitely a chicken though šŸ¤£

I left the automatic turnerĀ on for today and just re organised the incubator in a way that it turned the other 6 eggs but not this 7th.Ā 
Ā 

I do have a brooder. I was wondering the same thing about my hen. Iā€™m concerned she wonā€™t accept any others after sheā€™s had one for a few days. Think Iā€™m going to keep this under the brooder once itā€™s fluffed up and then wait until the others have hatched and moveĀ the lot then.Ā 
Ā 

Now that this one has hatched Iā€™ve turned the turner off. But am I okay to set the other eggs yet or shall I wait a couple more days but turn them by hand? This would mean opening the incubator every 2 hours.Ā 

@mullethunterĀ Was thinking if I just turn them by hand for tonight every few hours (I donā€™t mind getting up) then once Iā€™ve moved this one chick could I then turn the turner back on and then set them on Monday?

Change of plan!
Ā 

The chick thatā€™s hatched is doing great so far. Really fluffed up and strong. Already walking (wobbling) all over the place. Iā€™ve made it a home out of a large cardboard box and Iā€™ve put the brooder heat plate in there. Itā€™s got food and water too. And I can keep my eye on it in there.Ā 
Ā 

Now the other 6 Iā€™ve decided to move under my broody hen for her to hatch them. Sheā€™s been very good so far and very determined.Ā 
Ā 

Gave her the eggs and took out the rubber ones. She checked every egg and made a lovely little kinda purringĀ noise then sat straight on them šŸ„°. So far itā€™s going well and Iā€™ll check on her in a couple hours.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

Thenā€¦once theyā€™ve hatched Iā€™ll slip this little one under her late at night. Sheā€™ll never know šŸ¤£. Iā€™ll get a picture in a min, this little chick is definitely a chick and looks great but is teany tiny šŸ˜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All is going very well with the chicks! Little early hatcher is growing and doing very well šŸ„°

Gave the other 6 eggs to my broody hen for her to hatch herself and so far sheā€™s done amazingly! 2 more have hatched with her and another had just pipped. Got 3 left with nothing yet but itā€™s still early. So then decided to give her the little one. She accepted it straight away!!Ā 
Ā 

Here are some pictures to gush over šŸ˜…šŸ„°

One in my hand is the little one. Doesnā€™tĀ actually look that little when itsĀ next to his siblings.

Ā 

p.s please excuse my nail polish šŸ˜… only just spent Ā£25 on them last week and already Iā€™ve chipped them šŸ™ˆ donā€™t tell my husband! šŸ¤£

BEBD927E-574D-459F-9A62-6C17822277D3.jpeg

B68551E9-4152-421A-8F01-BD5E0E17D9D9.jpeg

6DA07F1E-5571-4766-AEFA-093B99A0E32C.jpeg

468D2B7C-3D91-4781-A9A1-0687F5679089.jpeg

Edited by Beaudyne
  • Like 2

Update on chicks!! šŸ£Ā 

So we only hatched 4 chicks and unfortunately after 3 days our little early hatcher diedā€¦..Iā€™m unsure what happened but I think it was killed. Wether that was by mother hen or somehow another chicken got close to the run and pecked it through the mesh, I really donā€™t know but I found it with blood in its mouth.Ā 
Ā 

But nearly 3 weeks on and on a much brighter note, we have 3 beautiful growing very quickly little chicks! And mama hen has now left the confines on her small run and is venturing out with all the otherĀ chickens and goats! And they are all lovely with the chicks šŸ„° Although I donā€™t think any of them would dare mess with Marge šŸ¤£

Hereā€™s some picturesā€¦.look how big my first hatch of Appenzellers are! They are nearly 13 weeks old and Iā€™ve just sold one of the 3 boys. Picture is of all 3 boys just beforeĀ the one went to his new home

Ā 

A00950B6-A965-421B-9601-19E34D987823.jpeg

8211CD20-8A7E-4B9C-B9E0-90B7EF6F1F72.jpeg

430DF827-32FE-4009-B1C7-FDA1AD3D788F.jpeg

73290235-85FD-48DB-B847-8B4ECCAC3F3F.jpeg

3145B200-A894-4FE6-859B-B004C6D15A8D.jpeg

• Like 3