Richard

Socks

Is there anyone else who knits socks?

I knit socks - I'd like you to believe (because it would be good for my image) that I do it because I'm too mean to buy them. However at around £3.00 a pair for the wool its not really cost effective!

However I wanted to tell anyone else who does knit socks, that I've found some really really good sock wool from Wool Craft. Its called Superwash Sock Yarn and is machine washable, knits up to 4 ply - and is a super colour. Its random blue dyed and its 25% polyamide. and its nice to knit with.

Just thought you might like to know.

Ok, back in my box

I think that there's a range of styles of knitted socks out there, some easier than others :wink: .

I tried knitting them once, fine wool, in the round, sensible, serious, proper socks, but I got bored and only ever completed one sock :oops: .

All that said I'm sure that Trish is a secret sock knitter, I'm convinced that I recollect a conversation between her and Claret about hand knitted socks.

I knit socks they are not too difficult once you have got past the first 5 rows or so they get easier, but it does take a lot of patience. I have been using the Opal self patterning wool it looks lovely when knitted up but is very expensive...........I am just off to look at Woolcraft........

Richard did you ever knit the Alan Dart chicken........... :?:

I

Are they difficult? Do you have to knit them on four needles in the round?

I don't think they are difficult at all. Yes you do them in the round on four needles. The good bit is knitting the heel and then turning it.

Its actually really easy so long as you follow the pattern - there's no fancy stiches at all.

And I don't find them itchy - I've been wearing a pair today that I knitted from 5 ply worsted wool - they are quite thick and a bit tight in shoes. But they are great for wellies. 4 ply are fine for shoes

I knit socks they are not too difficult once you have got past the first 5 rows or so they get easier, but it does take a lot of patience. I have been using the Opal self patterning wool it looks lovely when knitted up but is very expensive...........I am just off to look at Woolcraft........

Richard did you ever knit the Alan Dart chicken........... :?:

Sadly :oops: didn't get round to it. I did the chicken tea cosy (the one with three little chooks on the top) which was on another thread. Then I did another tea cozy that looks like a fairy cake which is a Xmas pressy for one of the family.

and I'm still finishing off a gansey done in the round in 5 ply which has taken me a long time - I'm on the sleeves. I very rarely knit anything flat - I find it much easier to work on four needles (there's also the fact that I hate, and am rubbish at, sewing up!).

I've also done a couple of pairs of socks recently and then found this lovely sock wool. But it was £3.49 for 100 grams.

Mind you, wool is all expensive these days. I must get her indoors back to her wheel - we have some Portland fleeces from a friend of mine ready to be spun - and I can't do it but she can!

I have started a pair of socks, but I cannot do the heel :oops:

it just doesnt compute in my little brain :D

give me quadratic equations, differentiation and integration, engineering maths and I'm your girl, put me infront of a class of 30 screaming 15 year olds and im fine :D , give me a sock to knit and im totally useless :lol::lol:

cathy

x

Yup, Trish is the other sock knitter and she knitted me a beautiful pair of striped wool socks - they get pulled on as soon as I get up in the morning and I wear them under my orange crocs while I potter around before getting dressed. they're not at all itchy.

Richard - I've watched Worsted wool being combed and spun in the church there - it's not far from Stalham... there is a beautiful Worsted festival each summer - have you ever been to it?

If anyone else is up for knitting socks, I'd happily buy a pair from them - I love my stripey ones :D I don't mind oddments of wool and random effects either.

there is what looks like an easy sock pattern in the latest edition of Lets Knit - I haven't done it but it looks OK - its a bit funny 'cos it has a separate big toe.

Its done for Artesano alpaca (from www.artesanoyarns.co.uk apparantly). I haven't been to the site yet to look becos although alpaca is lovely to knit with and I bet they are super warm, the price of £13.95 for 150g made me wince a bit!