Parslee

"Good winter layer"?? Purebreeds

I'm looking at adding 2 or 3 new birds as I am down to just one lonely Barnevelder after losing her sister a few days ago. I originally got the barnies as they are said to be good winter layers - but mine have never laid an egg between October and March! I am looking at some Houdans which on the breeder's website are described as "good winter layers" but in actually talking to them, they say they will only lay April - November, which makes the description inaccurate to say the least :)

I do prefer pure breeds to hybrids, and obviously don't mind them having downtime over the darker days, but this totally unreliable way of describing them makes choosing new breeds difficult! Does anyone have purebreeds that have slightly longer laying seasons? And does anyone have Houdans - what are they like to keep, as my young daughter has fallen in love with the look of them, she doesn't care about the eggs :D

On 7/10/2023 at 6:52 PM, Parslee said:

I'm looking at adding 2 or 3 new birds as I am down to just one lonely Barnevelder after losing her sister a few days ago. I originally got the barnies as they are said to be good winter layers - but mine have never laid an egg between October and March! I am looking at some Houdans which on the breeder's website are described as "good winter layers" but in actually talking to them, they say they will only lay April - November, which makes the description inaccurate to say the least :)

I do prefer pure breeds to hybrids, and obviously don't mind them having downtime over the darker days, but this totally unreliable way of describing them makes choosing new breeds difficult! Does anyone have purebreeds that have slightly longer laying seasons? And does anyone have Houdans - what are they like to keep, as my young daughter has fallen in love with the look of them, she doesn't care about the eggs :D

Weirdly enough my tiny bonkers Sebright turns out to be my best layer by far. Does also stop over winter, but keeps turning out her lovely small eggs.

The only hens that will lay over Winter, in my experience, are pullets that reached 26 weeks early November. In their first year they won't moult, which would otherwise stop them laying. In the following year Hybrids are the most reliable close to mid-Winter, but they all stop for a while and need to. Their system needs a rest. Pure breeds will break for longer each year and take longer to moult, which also stops them laying.

If your daughter likes Houdans you should get some, but if you want them to lay over the first Winter they need to be exactly the right age.

Hardly any PBs are reliable winter layers, really if you want eggs then you would be best off with a hybrid.  Having said that light breeds tend to go through their moult quicker than larger heavy breeds, so you would be more likely to get a slightly longer season with one of these.  I've haven't kept houdans, although I was very tempted, as I did use to keep polands, so have a soft spot for a crested breed.  There is a bit more to looking after them - basically keeping an eye on the crest for lice and mites, and providing a lipped drinker.  Polands were susceptible to bullying in a mixed flock if it contained feisty birds (which many hybrids can be, although obviously it is down to individual birds rather than breed generalisations), houdans are larger so possibly are less vulnerable, but the crest does obscure perfect vision.