red

Morbid Thoughts

I know this is potentially a bit morbid and I know that I shouldn't be thinking about things like this - especially as I haven't even got my chickens yet! - but has anyone given any thought to what they are going to do during that period when their chickens have stopped laying but haven't quite decided to take the flight to Henny Heaven? :?

I know when I was very small Mother used to keep us occupied in the house whilst Pater went off to the bottom of the garden to sort out that little problem :shock::shock: but most people on here - me included - have decided to keep chickens as productive pets so I imagine the idea of sending them off the Henny Heaven before their time seems a bit nasty.

Trouble is everyone will be used to having lots of tasty !egg!!egg! !! Now if you've got room to get a couple of new young Layers and keep the old folk as unproductive pets that's fine but what about those people who got an Eglu because they only have space for 2 or 3? I suppose it's a decision people will need to take when the time comes. :(:(:(

I just wondered if anyone else hade given it any thought?

our girls will live out their natural lives with us, whether they are laying or not. we'll care for them in their retirementas we do now,, it'll be the least we can do after they would have spent their whole lives providing eggs for us. I couldnt give them a home with proper care, freedom, and quality of life, unlike poor little battery hens, and then calmly dispatch them when they were no longer ' paying their way'. eugh, what a thought!

Well I'm with you all so far :D I certainly couldn't send them off to Henny Heaven just because they've stopped giving me yummy eggs and (although I haven't got them yet :( ) they will be part of my pet family and I wouldn't dream of killing off any of my other pets!!

I am lucky enough to have small second garden over the lane from my house and (because I only have room for two chickens in my main garden) I may move the older folk over the lane for their retirement and build a secure run in which to keep their eglu and get two new layers (and a new eglu of course :wink: ) for the house garden (just to make popping out for eggs easier!)

Even then I have a romantic notion of letting them all out to free range together when I'm around - one big happy family :D:D

P.S. :P what is this emoticon?

I agree with everyone on this one - couldn't bear the thought of parting with them just because they had stopped laying. They have been in the conservatory with us all morning, they have become so tame over the last few weeks, can you train them not to poo on the floor I wonder?!! :?

Olivia

Well I've looked it up in my trusty Chambers Dictionary (which, by the way, is definately the best dictionary going for any wordy people) and it confirms that "razz" is a slang term for raspberry - so full marks to Kate :D:D

And a big :P to anyone who thought it was just a way to tell everyone that you've been "on the razzle" :lol::lol: (It has got that tongue hanging out/slightly dehydrated look!) :wink:

When I lived in the country with lots of room for hens then all my laying hens had a happy retirement - actually they were extra experienced help for the mums with new chicks. With our present backyard this is something I had to consider before getting the hens. There is a chance the girls will pop off naturally while still laying - I'm not expecting heavy laying hybrids to have as long a life as my old purebreeds or home-grown mongrels. However if they do stop laying then I will find a local free range farm/small holding and negotiate for them to be retired there. All the hen keepers I have known in the past would be happy to do this - is it that only nice people end up keeping poultry or is it something about hens that makes people nice? If necessary I'll make a financial contribution to their food - it is the least my lovely girls deserve and they will really love a totally free range retirement. :D

How long can I expect a pure breed to live as distinct from a hybrid? As you know I still haven't got my chickens yet :roll: and am being a bit indecisive about what to go for and I suppose I ought to consider longevity? :?

NB: tomorrow will be one whole week with an empty eglu :shock:

Agree about our chickens; they live as part of the family and therefore will live happy retirement when laying stops. However, OH says they'll be dinner....he likes to wind me up.

My response is that, if I was keeping broiler chickens I wouldn't give them names and become attached to them.

For Penny & Chuckles....we're best friends...its different.

My purebreeds/self bred mongrels used to live average 5 to 8 years but some went into double figures. I think the longest was about 12 years but she stopped laying well before that.

I don't have previous experience of modern hybrids. The books just mention when they stop laying, which is sooner than with pure breeds. I suspect all hens lay about the same number of eggs in their lifetime - just that the hybrids lay many more in the first couple of years but stop sooner.

I'd be inclined to work out how many eggs you'll need each week and take it from there. If it is a dozen a week, and you'll be having only 2 hens, then stick with a hybrid.