hipdeep

Ducks with lake access?

Hi there! I live near Boston, MA USA (our USA forum is crummy) and I'm saving for an eglu for a few ducks. We live directly on a lake. Can I allow my ducks access to our lake (Lake Chebacco in Essex)? Will they return to their eglu? And if they can enjoy the lake, can I still eat the eggs? It is considered safe water for swimming and recreation, class B, but with some mercury. If they forage in it will the eggs be safe? It would seem cruel to raise ducks a few feet from a lake but not allow them to swim! We have a lot of natural happy ducks on the lake already. Can they interact with other ducks safely? Thanks for your help! I want to be responsible as we prepare. If it's not advisable I might have to switch to chooks, but I have my heart set on 3 cayugas. :)

F&C - I have a big stash of Big Red..... and Cinnamon Tic Tacs :lol: I get my relatives to bring them over.....

Hi Hipdeep :D , I would be worried about the ducks not coming back as well. Someone on here has ducks which have access to the canal........I can't remember who it is though.......the ducks seem to be OK with that arrangement.

I buy my ducklings at a day old, they spend the next 3 weeks indoors, then outside during the day with heat lamp on all night if cold.

When the first two I raised where very young they always sat on my lap, and as I sat on floor to stroke dogs while watching TV they would walk on top of dogs to get on my lap, eventually they would sit in front of the TV wathcing programmes if I was not in the room with them, I also have a great photo of Dapne - now deceased thanks to foxy - peering into the open oven!

The trio I now have in the garden all follow me around, as soon as they see me in a window of the house, they run up to the fence and wait, hoping I will appear in the garden to chat to them, such time wasters, but they are the boss in the garden and will chase of all other birds, they also know thier own names and will respond when I talk to them individually!

Daisy still lives on the canal behind the house with her new friends Bill & Vera (Dark Cambells)who are fed with around 20 wild ducks and family of swans twice a day, all come when called.

Bill & Vera were bought at a year old to be friends with Daisy who was pining from the loss of her friend, as winter gets colder I will have to cath them, Daisy will happily walk back into garden the other 2 will not - anyone know of any duck catchers in Hampshire?

Is this the one you were thinking of?

It sounds like I might be a chook candidate. I appreciate the help. Know what's funny? Hardly anyone I know likes cinnamon candy? Maybe it's here to welcome the Brits? LOL So you all need to eat a LION bar for me. Right now!!!!! LOL Don't tell me you don't eat those?

-Brooke