tara

yay getting 3 day old indian runner ducks

I have call ducks 5 ducklings and mum and dad.In a few weeks im getting 3 day old indian runner ducks my self and a friend.We just can wait the man said to use a lamp as a heat lamp.Any advice please would great.I really want to tame them.I have ducklings with there mum out side so this will be brillliant being able to be there new mummy.The only thing is the man gives the boys to the pet shop which upset me.But he did say about a trio but im worried that he will rape my call ducks or get aggressive.

Edited by Guest

Hi Tara

You will love looking after your babies, but you won't get any housework done :lol:

Ducklings can be very messy and I found keeping them on sawdust just made it harder to clean them out .

After trying different things I found that keeping them on an old towel was easiest for the first few days.

The worst mess can come from them spilling water and food all over their living quarters.

You can reduce this mess by making something similar to ( but smaller than) the diner set

on the gooses mother web site.

All you need is a couple of plastic containers, cut an end off them but leave a slight lip, put the food dish in one and water dish in the other.

That way any food or water they spill stays in the container and they dont mix the two together, keep them close together to begin with, but move them a little way apart as the ducklings get older.

When the towel gets a bit mucky you can refold it to a clean side.

As they get bigger I line the bottom with plenty of news paper, then on top of that I put rubber shelf grip, the moisture goes through the holes in the shelf grip to the paper, and you can just rinse the shelf grip , dry it and put it back.

You should never put baby birds directly on newspaper, their feet slip about on it and they can get splayed legs :(

If you want your babies to be friendly and stay that way you have to handle them a lot on a daily basis, sit with them on your lap in the evening, although you might find they prefer to sit on your shoulder and snuggle up in your hair :lol:

From what I have heard Drakes can sometines be a problem in the breeding season

Seems they either want to attack you or mate with you :lol:

And off course NO EGGS from a drake :lol:

Sorry I've gone on a bit, but I do get excited about baby birds :oops:

You have not been a pain l love hearing from people that know and you was so helpful with me last time.I will follow your advice.I enjoyed seeing your pictures of your lovely duck so much l decided to get some im getting 2 females so am hoping they will be happy with out a boyfriend.I just cant wait my friend is also getting 2 females from the same breeder.My call ducklings are getting bigger but just wish l could handle them.There in a eglu run so l cant really hold them as they go to the middle of the run.Will have to post more pics.

What food did you start of with was it chick crumb or duck food. :D:D:D:D:D OOOOOcant wait

Hi Tara

You need to feed them on UNMEDICATED chick crumb, it's important that the chick crumb is unmedicated

I also gave mine mashed boiled egg and boiled rice.

I have also heard that some people grind up duck pellets.

I think two ducks is fine, to be honest the more you have the more they tend to flock( well runners do) so you don't want too many if you want them to be really friendly.

When you have a large group of runners it only takes one to LEG IT :lol: and the rest will follow.

With two you can get away with keeping them indoors with you longer as they grow so they get really imprinted and more comfortable with you.

If you want to cuddle them lots but are worried about them pooing on you, I can draw a pattern for you to make a little harness to put on them with a little bit of pad in that will help a bit :)

Other than that just put a towel on your lap .

Our duck will move away a little if we reach for her, but that's just instinct, she wont run from us in fact she will come and stand by us if we call her, and often she will come and tap us and chat to us, she loves to sleep by my feet in the evening, or if my daughter is sitting on the floor Baby will sit right beside her :D

are you going to put pictures on?

I'd love to see them.

I have a really cute one of Baby, can't remember if I have put it on before so will try to find it and put it on :)

Oooooh, how exciting! I can't wait for my Appleyards to hatch.

You need to feed them on UNMEDICATED chick crumb, it's important that the chick crumb is unmedicated

Ummm, is there a reason why you need unmedicated chick crumb? What's the difference?

Love the pictures! How old is Baby in the first picture?

xx

Hi Hunni

I can't remember how old Baby was in the second picture, might of been about a week or so.

The reason for only giving the unmedicated chick crumb is to do with the antibiotic in it I think.

Ducklings eat much more than chicks so overdose on the medication in medicated chick crumb, this can make them very ill or even kill them :cry:

LOL

Just looked at her sleeping beside the rabbits litter box and can't believe it's the same duck, she is so grown up and lays an egg a day for us now Yummy :lol: I love duck eggs. :lol:

Hi just thought Id let you know that tat's internet is down at the mo! we're still waiting on our runner ducks! but things come to those who wait!!!!

her Call ducks are growing fast! the mother keeps trying to hole the duckings head under (I dont think its for a long time but Tara's abit worried!

any ideas???

Emma

xx

Hi :D

When you say holding their heads under I take it you mean under water?

Is it possible to not allow the mum in the water with the babies?

They will be perfectly safe swimming without the mum there, although I know Tra mentioned she can't get hold of the ducklings cos they go to the middle of the eglu run, so not sure how she would go about seperating them.

I have not come across this problem myself so not sure how to advise, but if it were me, I would only allow them access to swinmming water when I was around to supervise.

It might be a good Idea to post the question as a fresh discussion, more people are likely to read it that way and there is a chance some one else will know what to do.

give it an attention grabbing subject title, something like HELP!!! MUM TRYING TO DROWN BABIES

Can't wait to see pictures of your runner Babies when they arrive :wink:

Hi :D

When you say holding their heads under I take it you mean under water?

Is it possible to not allow the mum in the water with the babies?

They will be perfectly safe swimming without the mum there, although I know Tra mentioned she can't get hold of the ducklings cos they go to the middle of the eglu run, so not sure how she would go about seperating them.

I have not come across this problem myself so not sure how to advise, but if it were me, I would only allow them access to swinmming water when I was around to supervise.

It might be a good Idea to post the question as a fresh discussion, more people are likely to read it that way and there is a chance some one else will know what to do.

give it an attention grabbing subject title, something like HELP!!! MUM TRYING TO DROWN BABIES

Can't wait to see pictures of your runner Babies when they arrive :wink:

thats a gd idea!!

you cant wait!! hay we're pasing up and down waiting lol

Hello im on dial up for a few days :( The mum was pushing them down a little she seems to get jeaulous of them being in the water but it seems to have stopped.So fingers crossed.I also keep checking on them through the day to make sure all is ok.