Jump to content
Trapper

Beaware 'Don't put in too many chickens'

Recommended Posts

Can I just add to what others have said - I don't think it is anything to do with the Cube, it is down to the personality of that particular chicken.

 

You really have been unfortunate - most of us started, like you, with the Omlet van delivering the Eglu or Cube and the chickens, and have had no problems at all. You've had a terrible start to your chicken-keeping through no fault of your own, and it's so sad to lose a hen anyway but even more so under those circumstances.

 

There's lots of advice on here about how to tackle bullying, but don't give up on keeping chickens because of what that breeder says. Omlet research their products thoroughly, and the Cube is plenty big enough. So sorry to hear about your experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing I did do, to give mine a bit more space and a safe place for newbies (my three new ones have been hanging out up there quite a bit), was build a little mezzanine level. Really easy, took about half an hour with a drill and some screws and a bit of wood and a bunch of cable ties. piccie here

:oops:

 

 

Aunty e - your mezzanine is fab, my hubby is going to make one at the weekend. Did you buy an extra roosting bar set or did you make your own. could you post some more details or PM me. thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have been to a couple of breeders and also spoken to one on the phone. The are not only negative (whilst not being particularly knowledgeable) about Omlet, they are also very negative about hybrids (cannabalistic/badly bred/thugs etc.).

 

As a newbie it makes me feel very unsettled, especially when there has been may posts on the forum lately about bullying.

 

These breeders - i might add - keep purebreeds only :?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These breeders - i might add - keep purebreeds only :?

 

Bit of a conflict of interest there then, no?!

 

I've got friends who breed araucanas and silkies. They rolled their eyes at me for having hybrids - until mine went to stay with them when I went away on holiday. When I got back, there were glowing reports about how friendly and handleable they are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, I have been a henkeeper to five hens just over two weeks now. The major thing that has amazed me is, how pronounced the personalities of hens are...more full on than cats and dogs. I have a bully called Alice who has wreacked havoc in the henhouse....pecks until drawing blood. 'tells' the other hens not to come out of the cube until she says......really! So this evening we fitted a bumper bit because of the physical damage she has done to the other hens. Although I bought an extension to the cube and run, OH has been building a much larger run with a 6 foot roof so they will have more room. At first I believed it was because the cube run was not enough. However, I think it is due to the hen's personality that there has been trouble. This is because the other hens...when not being beaten up by Alice, are really enjoying life, and love the cube. Obviously, we are going to give Alice a good fair chance to forget her habits. However, I have made the decision that if she is a rogue hen then I will rehome her for the sake of the others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would just like to say thank you to everybody for their kind thoughts and support.

 

Yes we may have a rouge chicken but I will sort the problem out. And it will be very quick. It makes a change to have so many supportive people whom you do not even know, understand the problems and feeling that we are going through.

 

So from the all the Trappets (Mum, Dad, 4 kids, 4 cats and now 4 chickens) THANK YOU ALL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mayflower

 

Sorry to hear of your dilema, the same as mine it seems.

 

The fact is and I believe it has been said before on this forum 'We rule the Roost' not the chickens.

 

As with my flock one bad chicken can not ruin the lives of all the others. Two weeks seems like a long time to leave it and drawing blood!! I couldn't have waited that long the stress that poor bird must have be under. I hope that she is OK.

 

 

Trapper

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This may be a bit off-topic, but I can't help but wonder what on earth, compared to the trauma of a pecking order in our very small holdings of hens, is the reality in battery farms? Can't find an emoticon that expresses horror!

 

(Also, perhaps off-topic, why is Jamie being given all the credit in one of today's papers (sorry, only glanced in passing) for the change in free range egg buying. Hugh deserves at least as much credit).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i was buying from a feed store and they hate Omlet saying that they are in it for money and its a gimmick

 

Amazing....why criticise a company for "being in it for the money"....surely that is the whole purpose of a business....to make money, and create jobs, and provide a service.

 

I haven't noticed that any of the other chicken housing manufacturers are giving coops away FOC. :roll:

 

..........................

 

Another way to help retrain a rogue hen is to get a powerful water pistol, or the hose pipe and blast her with it every time she misbehaves.

 

You need to do this when you have a bit of time to spare, and you can observe and act for a while. It can startle them into behaving.

 

This may be a bit off-topic, but I can't help but wonder what on earth, compared to the trauma of a pecking order in our very small holdings of hens, is the reality in battery farms? Can't find an emoticon that expresses horror!

 

I'm sorry to say that a pecky hen in a battery farm is likely to have its beak trimmed or be culled.

 

A bumpa bit and a dousing with cold water is far kinder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...