Chili

Broody hen...

Hello Pinkybijou

Yes my hen pulled her feathers out in the "egg warming" area and is indeed bald there now. After trying absolutely everything including dunking her in cold water, sitting her on freezer packs, locking her out of the nest box etc the only thing that worked was the broody cage. We kept her in it for two days, and when we let her out she strolled onto the lawn looking at us as if to say "What?".

She is over this broody phase but I'm sure the next one is just around the corner.... :roll:

Thankfully, I think Dora has snapped out of it already, phew! I kept a plantpot in the nesting box overnight, and this morning fortunately Doris did her egg quite early so I just shut the Eglu door then. Dora sulked all day and sat in the dust bath they've dug in their run instead. Then this afternoon I let them out for a freerange and she happily had a walk about and a peck at grass etc. By the time they went back she seemed back to her normal self and even though I'd opened the Eglu door again she didn't go in. No egg from her today, which is unusual for her, but I assume due to this broody phase? The plantpot is back in the nest box tonight just in case she changes her mind!

Funny creatures aren't they?!

Molly has just started being broody :evil: . I've followed all the brilliant advice on the forum but am now feeling really guilty :( . I've let them all freerange for a couple of hours but have shut the run door. Molly is desperate to get back in and is pacing up and down, jumping onto the run, pecking at the eglu. I feel really bad - I'm not damaging her psychologically am I? :?

It's one thing stopping them getting into the nestbox but if they're in the run, they just make a nest anyway :? . There's no way round that, is there? Actually, I've just realised the answer - a broody cage :) . I've got an old rabbit run which I may see if I can use.

It's one thing stopping them getting into the nestbox but if they're in the run, they just make a nest anyway :? . There's no way round that, is there? Actually, I've just realised the answer - a broody cage :) . I've got an old rabbit run which I may see if I can use.

Good luck with the broody cage ANH, I agree there is no way you can stop them certainly not by just denying access to the nestbox :evil: It will be 8 weeks on Sunday since Annie went broody :evil: I think she is going to end up in the Guinness Book of Records :roll:

Tessa

I apologise for adding yet another post to this topic :oops::oops: but my daft light sussex hen is back in the broody cage again!! This is the third time she has gone broody in under two months.

She is my only pure breed hen, and I understand the pure breeds are more prone to going broody. I know there isn't much I can do about it although the cage was extremely effective last time.

Will this keep happening and is anybody else struggling with a hen that just wants to be a growling, blown up pancake :(

You have my sympathies Chili, having a broody is a real pain :evil: At least you recognise it early and by using a broody cage it shouldn't last too long.

I am resigned to my Annie going broody on a regular basis, I think some chickens are just prone to it, goodness knows why :? Hope your current broody snaps out of it soon.

Tessa