I am taking the big step of ordering a GREEN cube tomorrow (much to OH disgust!) but I'm still dithering about whether to get a 2m or 3m run. I have six hens and come the Autumn they may have to be confined to the run when building work on our house starts. Any advice?

One extension on the standard 2m Cube run makes it look perfectly proportioned. Not only does it look better, but the hens will love it.

I was inside my Cube recently breaking up the ground soil, and as I sat there I really appreciated how much space my hens had with the extra 1m.

I don't feel the same in the Eglu run, even though I have a convertor and an extra extension....

Hi everyone

I've ordered a cube + standard run with 3 chickens as I am new to chicken keeping. I intend to move the Cube and run between 2 or 3 positions in the garden and then let the hens into an Omlet netted area when we are out and about - but the rest of the time, they will be in the standard run.

However, I've been looking at everyone's posts and looking at the brilliant runs that people have got - so I am wondering how many people just use the standard run? Will the standard run be enough room for 3 in practice? - I know it's sold as OK - but everyone seems to have much more space!

(I cleared a load of brambles at the weekend - in preparation for C-Day, and ended up with a 3mx3m space which was previously unused. So I have been day-dreaming about "oh I could have a run here..." - even to the extent of sketching plans! However, my ever practical (DIY expert OH) did point out a) that we haven't got them yet, b) I've suddenly gone from a neat 2m x 2m cube and run - to that + a 3m x 3m extra permanently built run and c) I've actually spent quite a lot recently on getting chickens - with the cube, chickens and all the extras... Fair points really! - he's very good at keeping me practical!)

Jill

Edited by Guest

A Cube + standard run will be fine for three chickens. I think it's just that we would all like to see our girls with more space, and once you've got them you want to add some more!

I do agree with everything Gallina says though - the Cube looks perfectly proportioned with an extension, and it gives a lot more headroom than the Eglu. I've got five (sorry, I mean four :( ) in a Cube with one extension.

I'd say go for the basic Cube. If you do want more room, you can always order an extension, and if you find that you want to build a fixed run you can probably sell the Cube run. You are lucky having an OH who is a DIY expert! I bet that within a few weeks, HE will be the one sketching plans and coming up with ideas.

Hi pbfhpunk - your cube looks fab with the sleepers round it - I am in process of getting mine ready for our first chickens and you have given me some inspiration. Though, like others on the forum, I am already thinking of clearing some "dead space" in the garden and making a fixed run. I am addicted to chickens and they are not even here yet - I hope the reality does not put me off!

Thanks SAB, Just had an email to say our chickens are delayed and won't be available until next weekend but my husband and I are away then so it's going to be ages, am totally gutted! But I know it'll be worth the wait, am looking to see if there's any I can get tomorrow instead from somewhere else.

Helen